Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiero strech question

Fiero strech question

Hi guys..i am getting a really good deal on a already strech fiero with a 9.5 inch strech but my body requires a 10.5 inch strech so my question is..is there a way to make it work somehow?can the cradle somewhow be moved another inch or something that doesn't include cutting the chassis and adding another inch?

Re: Fiero strech question

IMHO the bodywork involved in adjusting the wheelwells would be the way to go.

slice the kit down the middle crossways, shave off 1/2 inch from each side. fglass back together... lol...

Most likely they cut the fire inhalf then stretched it. You do have a couple of options. you can undo what they did and then re stretch it the 1 inch which is probably not the best idea or you can do a 1 inch cradle only stretch. This would involve cutting the cradle near the rear and forward mounts then making the fronts 1 inch longer and removing 1 inch out of the rear. This leaves the mooting locations in the same spot but moves the cradle back the 1 inch you need.

yea,
    I second what Ferrari Berlinetta said. Make the cradle longer by cutting the ends where it bolts to the front and drill new holes in the back to mount it. Funnywheels found that you can lengthen the cradle by as much as 3" and still have room for the suspension. As long as you use coilovers that is. That would be the easyest way. Hopefully the stretch was done correctly!

Depending on what the existing stretch did for the engine cradle will determine the route to take.

If the cradle was not stretched at the front end and a new set of mount points were made on the frame, you can move those mount points back the extra inch along with the additional steps later in this reply. I hope this was the method they used as a 9.5|" stretch to the engine cradle is not the best option unless additional reinforcement was put in along the stretched arms as that additional length could cause torsional issues.

If the cradle was stretched and the original Fiero cradle mounts were used on the firewall, you can weld in some reinforcing plate on the firewall mounts and move the mounting hole back the 1" needed. Don't try to move the hole back back in the original mount plates as there won;t be enough metal to make it strong enough to be safe. Put some reinforcing bars into the stretched portion of the engine cradle.

The rear is a bit more complex if you want to get the extra inch without cutting the frame again.

The Fiero rear mounts will have either a rubber mount set that gets bolted up against the bottom of the lower frame rail on pre 88 cars or a solid mounting plate on the 88 cars. In both cases, you can move the mounting hole/rubber 1" forward on the engine cradle to match up the mounting holes again. Not that hard to d and there is enough metal and surface to move the options forward 1" without integrity issues.

The last piece you need to do regardless of all the options above is to move the top of the shock struts back 1". You will need to drill mounting holes 1" back on both sides and then elongate the centre hole for the strut top to fit. You may need to have coil over conversions on the rear shock struts as the oem Fiero coils are pretty wide and may interfere with the rear surface of the shock tower but I am not 100% sure if you will get close enough to cause interference.

Moving the cradle back 1" will be relatively straight forward and certainly doable since most of the stretch has already been done.

Good luck
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Just get a cradle from Team321 (Dave Held) and have them make it to your specs.
    Then you can also have a longitudinal mount motor.

http://www.team321.com/MidEngineCrad...radlehome.html

Thanks guys for all the responses I really appreciate it..I am still thinking if its worth buying it and doing all this additional work...I was thinking about just shaving some body off where the wheel wells are but I am not sure if the car will look good then because it would be half inch on each but this would be my last resort...i just spoke to the guy and he told me the cradle was streched as well and it was reinforced so what would be the best thing to do here...Don you are saying i can just weld a support bar where the firewall mounts are and just drill new holes and move it like that and that would be all that I would have to do??If i do that do i have to move the top of the shocks as well?

Stretching a Fiero isn't really all that difficult. Unless you're getting it for less than $2000 and it's in good, running condition, I'd suggest just starting over with a new donor. You could easily stretch the car in a weekend, aside from the transmission and throttle cables.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

someone please post a picture of Funnywheels engine cradle , so he can see it ,get the car if the stretch is done right an build a new hanger bar across the front for the cradle an weld it in ,cheap job here is the prints ,they are not to scale but so you see what is done ,then add the plate on the rear of the cradle for the large mounting bolts on the back end of the cradle

open pic

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!