Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine swap Gallardo

engine swap Gallardo

What does everyone think of the idea of buying a cheap Lamborghini Gallardo in perfect exterior condition and swapping all the moving parts to create a "new car". The main reason i see for not buying a real deal is the price and maintenance. Some of these real cars cost over 30k a year in maintenance and by swapping out the engine and transmission to Ford parts I will save the majority of the maintenance cost. Some kit cars on this website have become so expensive i see it as why not buy a used one. Any thoughts on this idea?

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Re: engine swap Gallardo

my real question would be how much for insurance on a real car with Ford drive train
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

The reason people think of that first is that it takes little creativity. They don't often realize what kind of investment is necessary to end up with a completed vehicle, they underestimate the upkeep and insurance. It's no wonder that projects like that keep getting sold as unfinished until some kind of dealer buys them and fisnishes it out.

So people buy real Gallardos and swap the engine often? I have not seen one yet and probably would have attempted to buy one since i am a mechanic and that would seem to take the less time. What I truly want is a full tube chassis with corvette suspension and a corvette engine, but that would take way longer since you are starting from scratch. With a real one, you take out all the fit and finish/ miscellaneous details( which multiple people tell me is the longest part), the suspension work, the chassis work, the body kit, and the random parts list out of the equation. I am not going against you, but am uneducated in the kit car business.

I dont think your even going to find a " cheap Lamborghini Gallardo in perfect exterior condition ". I was bidding on one recently at a auction that had been flooded. It didnt have tires or rims, no seats, some engine parts was missing, and it didnt run, I stopped bidding at $35k. It went for $44k. I saw another Gallardo on a online insurance auction that had a small engine fire, if I remember right it went for more than $50k. And remember- these cars both had salvage titles. "IF" you could find a nice one with a bad drivetrain, its not going to be cheap. And by the time you convert the electrical system, get all the Ford drivetrain and all the items like brakes, c/v axles, fuel system, exhaust, ect, ect, (the list is long) all figured out you could have almost purchased a real used Gallardo or Diablo.

Sadly- The real cars are high dollar no matter which way you look at it. If you got your heart set on a real Lamborghini you better start buying lotto tickets or become a doctor or lawyer or figure out somehow to get in the big bucks. Or like the rest of us- Just start with a old Fiero or MR2 and start building. Im almost done with my Diablo Roadster, should be finished in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I purchased someone else's unfinished project 6 months ago and will have a pretty nice car for a total of about $25k. So it can be done.....

I've played with the idea about buying a Real lamborghini Diablo and swapping in either a BMW V12 or an LS GM engine. I've seen a Real Diablo sporting an LT1 engine out of a Camaro Z28 along with a 348 with an LT1 Turbo backed by a 993 transaxle. It's doable as it is with any vehicle but there's still other factors to take into consideration such as suspension, brakes, insurance, They will cost thousands still despite you swap out the drive train, do you plan on swapping out those as well?

I say the best place to start is to either buy a Fiero/MR2 or a Tube chassis cause in the end you'll end up spending roughly as much not to mention it will be more simpler to fine tune everything vs trying to mate a Ford to a Lamborghini.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Bronsonf

what do you think a good full size body kit should cost ,all opinions are welcome as long as it stay on the subject of Gallardo,s
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

If you can find me a "cheap Gallardo" let me know, I'd buy it and drive the hell out of that machine. Why hack that up? If you can afford to buy a cheap Gallardo then you can afford to keep up the maintenance on it.

I think that 6500 dollars is a good price for a hand laid fiberglass kit with a gel coat and vacuum sealed. For this price the kit should have no bubbles or imperfections.

I would keep the suspension and brakes