Thread: Ford Duratec V6 Power: Anyone Used This?

Ford Duratec V6 Power: Anyone Used This?

Although I haven't gotten past the daydream & CAD drawing stage of building yet (it may take years to get to the actual build :P) , my desire is not so much to build a road rocket supercar. Rather, I would like to build a fun but very dependable (and somewhat economical) sports car. With that in mind, I'm taking a serious look at the Ford Duratec V6 engine.

There are lots of these engines around, they are extremely dependable, parts are easy to get and they can deliver quite impressive performance in a lightweight sports car. As a matter of fact, the Noble M400 uses this engine with a 6 speed Getrag tranny in a transverse mid-engine layout. I certainly wouldn't consider the Noble M400 as a slouch in the performance car world.

My question is, has anyone here had any experience with this engine or that tranny that is used in the Noble 400. The engines are quite plentiful. I think they are in a lot of Ford Tauruses. (The v6 in my Taurus is the Vulcan model. It's more basic, but still delivers 26mpg.)

What about that Getrag 6 speed tansverse transmission? What other vehicle is it also found in? Does anyone have any information on it?

Re: Ford Duratec V6 Power: Anyone Used This?

Did a quick search and found this....

Although they did use the Duratec, they made some serious upgrades in components and added twin turbos!

The Noble M400 features a mid-mounted transverse engine design. The power plant began life as a 2,968 cc DOHC Ford Duratec V6 with four valves per cylinder, as used in the Ford Mondeo ST220. With this engine as a base, Noble fits high-lift camshafts, revised fuel injection, and two turbochargers. For durability, Noble has also added forged pistons, an oil cooler, a larger baffled oil sump, and extra cooling ducts. This engine has a max power of 425 bhp (317 kW) at 6,500 rpm, with a torque figure of 390 ftlbf (530 Nm) at 5,000 rpm.[6] This power and a light weight allow the M400 to achieve a power to weight ratio of just over 400 bhp/ton, the figure for which it was named, a 0 - 60 mph (97 km/h) of 3.2 seconds and a 1/4-mile time of 11.4 @ 119.8 mph (192.8 km/h).[7] Top speed is 187 mph (301 km/h). The UK auto TV show Vroom Vroom said that the M400 gave Ferrari Enzo performance at a Porsche 911 price.

ford's basic great engine that has screamed for upgrades, Burton power products uk could steer you into those noble'esque figures.
    So no problems there then
    D

I wouldn't really be interested in building one to Noble specs, but would probably leave it mainly stock except for a custom exhaust or other minor upgrades.

What about that transmission? Are they hard to get?

I want to know where they got that windshield!!!
    I need one for my AD355 LOL!!!! ;D

The K1 Attack z-tech ford engine I believe and I even want to say the Atom had a ford option.

Is the f40 six speed a getrag?