Thread: How Do You Mount The Body To the Chassis?

How Do You Mount The Body To the Chassis?

How are you mounting your fiberglass body to the chassis?

Are you bonding metal brackets to the inside of the body or are you fabricating fiberglass brackets or tabs?

Also, how do you determine where the appropriate mounting points will be and how many do you normally use?

Last question here, but do you add any kind of steel substructure to the fiberglass components as a reinforcement?

Re: How Do You Mount The Body To the Chassis?

The body can be mounted to the chassis in a variety of different ways. Many people use square steel ¾” tubing. It works well since you can shape it, weld it, drill it and etc. Simple mounts can also be made from ½” regular conduit by flattening the ends and drilling mounting holes through it.

Search through the build threads and you will learn different methods that people use.

I lowered the body on the chassis, made some measurments, fiberglassed 1" square tubingwith» predrilled holes and 1/2 inch bolts facing down, then lowered the body back down, made measurements again where bolts were. Raised body, Welded attachment plates to frame, lowered body back down, bolts slid into holes in plates. Then welded all together. Although there is probably an easier way, this was how i did it...

Glue it!!! I think most use a 3M product like the windshield adhesive. As to the mountings, look at the attached pictures. I am thinking that more is always better. You don't want fiberglas flexing. Hope this helps. ??? Jimbo6.0

Make a frame that supports the body, & as jimbo mentioned glue the body with 3m urethane or similiar product. Steel structures are added to all lids & bumpers. Also use steel reinforcement @ each hinge location.

the guy thats mounting my body makes like a skeleton of the car. then fiberglasses it to the body, then grinds the fiberglass away in a bunch of places and welds tubing from the frame to the body. ill try to get a pic. he has 2 fenders in his shop 1 of normal mounting and 1 of his way. he ran into both of them. so you can see the difference of impact strength. the other one is smashed and shattered, and his has some spider cracks in the paint and gelcoat. pretty cool display.

There is a problem with glassing the body to the car, the rate of thermal expansion is different for 'glass and steel, it can cause flexing and "wavyness" in your body when painted. That is what lead to the use of the windshield urethane, it secures and allows a slight amount of movement for that expansion