Thread: Sound system.

Sound system.

Im finally at the last part of my Diablo Roadster build, the stereo system. What advice I need on this part is speaker "brand" selection. I just got a new "high end" stereo with built in HD, bluetooth and ipod control, pretty much top of the line. I will be getting 2 new nice amps of my choice for fathers day next week. I got my speaker locations picked out and mostly prepped for instal. I have two 10" sub spots ready behind the seats in the lower area by the floor. I have a 6 1/2 round cutout in each of the doors in the same spot where everyone else puts them at. And I also plan on running some small tweeters up on the front windshild pillars.

Im not a massive bass guy- I like very,very clean sound. Clean/crisp highs and firm bass, so the sound is staged to a level of really seperating every instrument in a song. I like all kinds of music- I can go from hard core rave techno to Brooks and Dunn the to the Rollin Stones and anythin in between.

So Im sure Im going to have to add some speakers somewhere to achieve this but I want try out what I have laid out already. I have a mix of Infinity Reference and some old Polk Audio speakers in my BMW 850. They sound really good, but is there some other speaker brands I should look into? Price isnt a real factor, I leaned I can buy 1 good set of expensive speakers or buy set after set of cheap speakers after they blow out.

So Im going to need 2- 6 1/2" speakers for the doors, 2 - 10" subs for behind the seat, two small (1"?) tweeters for the pillars.- What should I get? I will choose the purchase of the amps based on what speakers I get...

Thanks!

Re: Sound system.

Sorry I don't have any brand suggestions but I will tell you this, do not attempt to buy your mids and tweets separate. Buy them in a component set. Most high end components come with an adjustable freq X-over to suit your sound pref

I used to build high end competition sound systems. There are a lot of really good brands out there. For a clean sound at a good price, you can't go wrong with MB Quart or Boston Acoustics. However... if you are willing to spend a little extra for good sound, my personal favorite that I use in my cars is Focal. They are PHENOMENAL. You will probably want a 2-way system with 6 1/2" mid drivers and a tweeter on the A-Pillar.

Subs, don't really matter as long as you get something of quality. In a simple system like this, you probably won't notice a lot of difference between the subs, especially if you don't like a lot of bass. I would suggest maybe Kicker C10?

For the Amps, there are a bunch of good brands, but a lot of time in kit cars, you are crunched for space. If thats the case, you may want to look at the Alpine digital amps (PDX series). They will fit in a very tight space, and they run very cool. A little more expensive, but worth it if you need the space. I actually have one sandwiched between 2 panels under the floor of my Mercedes with absolutely no air flow to it. It has never cut out due to heat in 3 years... and I run it HARD.

http://www.focal-america.com/category/speakers/

You definitly cannot go wrong with focal for your front stage

One thing to remember here is that you are putting a stereo in a kit car. There is nothing you can do to your car to make it quite as a production car let alone a Lexus. The background noise is going to be there. This is worse with a roadster. This means that the difference between good speakers and better speakers will not make any difference once the engine is started, let alone driving. (You are going to be yelling to talk to your passenger) Now that we have that out of the way, the only true test of speakers is to use your ears. Find a CD of your favorite song that you very well and head out to the local stereo store and listen to each of the speakers till you find the one you like best. Remember that the speakers in the car will not sound as good as in the store, but it will give you a reference point.

There is always my motto, "stereos are for cars with mufflers"

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at some of the Focal speakers and it seems that they are $500- $1000 more expensive than Polk's or MB's and Alpine. I dont thank its work the additional money for the Focal speakers with all the noise I have going down the road at 70 mph with the roof off and the windows down. Im going down to a local custom stereo shop to today and see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by luapynot
    Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at some of the Focal speakers and it seems that they are $500- $1000 more expensive than Polk's or MB's and Alpine. I dont thank its work the additional money for the Focal speakers with all the noise I have going down the road at 70 mph with the roof off and the windows down. Im going down to a local custom stereo shop to today and see what they have.

take a look at jbl. i just installed these in my car.they are very in expensive compared to most.i wanted alpine or polk,but the guy at the audio shop talked me into these instead.my car is small i put a 8" under the dash,6" in doors ant 6" behind the head.it has a very nice production car sound.i was very happy with the final results.i would highly recommend jbl speakers to any one.

john