Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiero drive train need help

fiero drive train need help

Ok so Im trying to come up with a good set up for my fiero f40. Im trying to figure out if a pontiac g6 f40 6 speed transaxle will mate with a 2010 chevy camaro engine i think it s 3.6. any knowledge or info out there. Thanks Luke

Re: fiero drive train need help

Not with out a adapter and some other work. Check with "Whitey078" I believe he is building with that setup.. My bad- I forgot he is using the v8.

no problem just trying to figure out the best 5 or 6 speed manual transaxle? not sure of the transaxles hp rating. whichne is the best ? any help would b great..Thanks

The f40 is rated at 295 lbs. I think I saw one that grenaded a few years back. Archie has put one with an ls7 that was near 500 rwp on a dynoe.
    I don't think you can get a stronger manual for the price and of course these are brand new still for under $500 shipped.

i think the f40 and the acura nsx are the higher end swaps for manual duty. i dont remember which fiero specialty shop was doing the nsx transmissions

Quote Originally Posted by luapynot
    Not with out a adapter and some other work. Check with "Whitey078" I believe he is building with that setup.. My bad- I forgot he is using the v8.
    Yup, I'm currently doing an f-40 with an LS3. Damned nice trans, put a quaiffe on it so i have LSD now. Though its much deeper than the getrag 5-speed i took out, so it required a special place for the flywheel. if you have any questions let me know

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Yes , it is a 60 degree V-6 just like the fiero ,it may have 1 bolt that is offset from the fiero transmission ,Dang thats great horsepower 304 HP Info. below from 3 different places ,great info

Engine Weight Dry weight 168 kg (370 lb) (3.6 60o V6)

Engine: 3.6L V 6 double overhead cam with VVT ( 11.3 :1 compression ratio ; four valves per cylinder)
    Fuel: unleaded ( 87 octane)
    Fuel consumption: city= 17 (mpg); highway= 29 (mpg); combined= 21 (mpg); vehicle range: 399 miles
    Gasoline direct injection fuel system
    19.0 gallon fuel tank
    Power: 304 HP ( 227 kW) @ 6,400 rpm; 273 ft lb of torque ( 370 Nm) @ 5,200 rpm 7000 rpm Red line

The 3.6L DI engine produces 304 horsepower (227 kW) at 5,900 rpm and 273 lb.-ft. of torque (370 Nm) at 5,200 rpm. Its 60-degree cylinder block and cylinder heads are cast in 319 aluminum to help reduce mass. A forged steel crankshaft provides optimal strength in the bottom end. The cylinder heads include four valves per cylinder, with a dual overhead camshaft design incorporating infinitely variable cam phasing.

A full dual exhaust system, with dual catalytic converters, helps reduce back pressure for optimum power. It also helps the engine reach operating temperature quicker to help burn off cold-start emissions. And despite a compression ratio of 11.3:1, the 3.6L DI engine is designed to run on regular gas.

The LLT "high-feature" V-6 has about as much advanced technology as you can find in an engine these days: DOHC, VVT, and most significantly, SIDI. Note the intricate detail on the crowns of the pistons, with "bowls" the fuel injectors spray into. --->

Named one of Ward's Ten Best Engines for 2008 (one of the most prestigious honors in the industry) and known as the "high-feature V-6" to most within GM, the LLT is nothing less than GM's world-beating six-banger, first introduced in the 2008 Cadillac STS (and also optional in the CTS, where it's rated at 304 SAE-certified horsepower). It's important to mention that two versions of this 60-degree engine exist, and the one that we'll get in the Camaro is of the direct-injection variety. A lower-output, PFI version of this engine (which carries RPO LY7) is standard in the Cadillac CTS and also powers vehicles like the Chevrolet Malibu and base Pontiac G8. Therefore, it's critical to note that Camaro is getting the "cream of the crop" of GM V-6 engines-a showing of GM's commitment to this vehicle and to the high-performance character of all Camaros, SS or no.

The meat and potatoes of the LLT's direct injection system. How it works: a conventional in-tank electric pump sends fuel toward the fuel rails, at which point a mechanical pump-seen at right side of photo driven off one of the exhaust cams-is used to boost fuel pressure to 1,700+ psi (or "only" about 500 psi at idle). Fuel then travels through stainless steel fuel rails to highly specialized fuel injectors, which spray directly into each cylinder. --->

Here, the LLT is basically unaltered from its other applications, save that the accessory drive is changed, and the air intake and exhaust systems are tuned for different amounts of restriction and noise characteristics. The major feature of this engine is one we've already indicated: its Direct Injection (DI) system (also known as Spark Ignition Direct Injection, or SIDI, to differentiate it from systems used on diesels). It's a technology that made its North American debut for GM in the 2.0L turbocharged (RPO LNF) versions of the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice, and its myriad advantages include enhanced engine output, improved fuel efficiency, and reduced emissions. For details on this and other aspects of the LLT, we spoke with Jordan Lee, Assistant Chief Engineer for Global V-6 Engines, and Tim Price, Resident Engineering Manager at GM Powertrain-an Australian on assignment here from Holden.

With traditional port fuel injection, fuel is mixed with air in the intake port and drawn past the intake valve. But with direct injection, fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder at extremely high pressure. Says Lee, "As the fuel evaporates, it draws in a lot of heat, so it has a cooling effect on all the components in the chamber. As a result, higher compression ratios are possible on SIDI engines." That's 11.3:1 for the LLT, to be exact. Amazingly, the highly controlled nature of the combustion process also means that maximum performance is had on regular fuel! "This engine is rated using 87 octane-a lot of our competitors don't do this. Spark calibration strategies in the ECM are all done based on regular gasoline, so there is no advantage to running premium."

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Sounds like a great engine but a nightmare for a swap...

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

how much do the fiero 6 cyl weight
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

3.6LLT won't work on a pontiac g6 transaxle. Works only on the saab six speed, ie 2.8 turbo in their recent models. the 2.8 is a 3.6 but smaller displacement.
    3.6ll wiring nightmare, but anything is possible
    look on pennocks and search for the g6 transaxle discussion, or the 3.6l vvt DI LLT engine ...