Thread: Best engine for a 348ts project car.

Best engine for a 348ts project car.

Ok.. I've always been interested in kit cars and love exotic cars. I just don't want those 3000 annual service bills

I've found a 1990 ferrari 348ts with a great body and interior. The engine caught fire and I think I can get a good deal on it.
    In searching the newsgroups, I've read that to rebuilt the engine will cost 15k to 20k. I was wondering if I can put a stock chevy engine or some regular engine in the car. Would this work?

I was thinking that I could store the burnt engine and have it rebuilt later when I go to sell the car.

Does this just sound stupid or is it workable?

Thanks

Ray

Re:Best engine for a 348ts project car.

you would AT LEAST need some custom motor mounts and adapter plates made to mount it to the Ferrari transmission... then of course there would be the electronics nightmare.

But of course, where there is a will, there is a way.

Is this the correct placement for this thread?
    Anyway, its already been done. At least one 308 out there has a 350/fiero 5 speed conversion. Was for sale on autotrader.com long time ago. Good choice IMO would be 4.9/getrag. If you got the money, best would be N*/getrag. I would do it if I owned a 308 or 348.

I missed a 308 minus motor and tranny 2 months ago while i was on vacation local for 4000,the only body work was a door skin and dent in the left quarter,would have put a northstar in
    without fail.
    MIKE

Thanks all.. I think I'm going to go with a kit car.

I'll post another thread with my questions about that.

THanks

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ray1
    Ok.. I've always been interested in kit cars and love exotic cars. I just don't want those 3000 annual service bills

I've found a 1990 ferrari 348ts with a great body and interior. The engine caught fire and I think I can get a good deal on it.
    In searching the newsgroups, I've read that to rebuilt the engine will cost 15k to 20k. I was wondering if I can put a stock chevy engine or some regular engine in the car. Would this work?

I was thinking that I could store the burnt engine and have it rebuilt later when I go to sell the car.

Does this just sound stupid or is it workable?

Thanks

Ray

"I missed a 308 minus motor and tranny 2 months ago while i was on vacation local for 4000"

I had one almost as good last year. Black/black GTS. Found out a week late, it was gone. So sad.

This is my underground stomping place for ideas, tricks, and ways to make my car more "ferrari" BUT!!! Beware! these boys are die hard ferrari people and they frown down and light the match even when you paint the bumper to match.. BUT you might find something in the search on doing a conversion like this.. Best of luck but do remember not just the engines were a mess the ferrari wiring is like ummm lets just say its not a pretty site. Best of luck
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Kennedy Engineering makes a shaft and engine adapter plate for this conversion as long as you have the transaxle. The clutch is mounted on the rear of the transaxle. The swap is pretty straightforward. Everything fits and looks pretty clean once installed. Ground clearance with the oil pan will be your only headache. You will need to put a dry sump style on the conversion. The headers will go back as normal. You can get a set of Headman headers and cut them on the down tubes to remove 2 inches and weld them back together. The pipes will go above the engine cradle and back into the stock muffler. The car will sound like a Firebird and not a Ferrari. The small block 350 performance is better for the US than the 348 engine and a lot less maintenance. It will cost about 10K to do the swap correctly, If you need to purchase a transaxle add 6K. In the end your cal will be a good driver without much resale. When you do the swap, donít chop up the engine bay or other parts. A Ferrari guy will someday want to restore the 348 to all original stuff and it will still be worth something without other blemishes.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I don't wanna step on your dreams but I think you would regret a fixer-upper ferrari FAST; EVERY part for a real ferrari will cost at least a week's pay. My car uses parking lights from a 512BB - $700 for the pair of front parking light lenses (priced on-line NOT dealer)!!! Bend a wheel and it'll cost you a grand plus about $300 for the tire ...and you're not going to find clutch, brakes, ball joints, shocks, etc. at AutoZone for that thing, so it's advisable to make GOOD friends with a dealer, who won't understand (or care) why we think $700 for (2) parking lights is a lot of money. Change the engine and what will the car be worth if you ever want to get rid of it - I've seen Jaguars with chevy engines that people can't GIVE away here in LA, but they buy other jaguars all day long. In the end, Im thinking you'd have as much or more in the fixed "fixer-upper" than if you had bought a running car to begin with. By the way, if you think $3000 is a lot for auto maintenance, exotic cars are NOT the place to be - take it from a former Jaguar XJR owner.

Go to autotrader.com and search for area codes 90010, 90020 (both Los Angeles) or even 90210 (Beverly Hills). Fly here and get a complete car in your price range that runs good but accept that owning a ferrari is expensive no matter how you cut it (fixer-upper or not). While you're having fun, save some $$$ for maintenance. I've seen mid-1980s ferraris (mondial, 328) going for $30k-$40k and they have relatively low mileage (50k-60k miles). Shop wisely on this one and have fun ! By the way, I'd call an insurance agent for a quote BEFORE i bought the car.