Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper order of fishing things?

Proper order of fishing things?

So I've seen many people do things in different orders, and of corse i have what i think makes sense. BUT, I'm new to this, and I'm betting there are some good reasons people do things in certain orders. So essentially I'm hoping to get told i'm wrong or right here and why.

What i'm thinking

1) engine/suspension/brakes (get it running so you can drive it to places to get stuff like ac lines and interrior work plus, you cant scratch/gouge paint if its not done)
    2) electrical/lighting (set it up, mount the lights, and take em out for pant)
    3) body work and body mechanical
    4) paint
    5) interior (no dust on the leather!

i've seen a lot of people do body work first which confuses me, but maybe you dont want to get grease on a non-finished piece of fiberglass or soemthing.

Re: Proper order of fishing things?

your list is a good order,thats how i have done a few.the only thing, if you have a lot of body work,bondo and fiber glass.do it first and get the body in primer.this way everything has more time to shrink and cure before paint(if it is going too)while working on the rest.your car body looks good,unless your making big changes your order will do fine.

john

I concur, although I must admit I don't follow the list well.
    I have a list ordered almost exactly the same however, I let my mood confuse the order. After a few days of working on the proper thing, I have a tendency to get a little burned out so, instead of totally taking a break, I work on something I can do indoors and more fun. That way at least progress is being made on the car while I'm "taking a break". That's why I'm all gung ho about my interior project right now, even though I don't even have the body mounted yet. I am still waiting on a few pieces that Bartman has agreed to make for me, and then I will start the body mounting phase with wild abandon.

Thats pretty much the same order I did my build. I did engine/trans, brakes/suspension, then the doors, then fitting of all the panels/lids then the all the wiring. Then the body work and paint and finally interior. I did jump between various task every once in a while either because of waiting on parts or just got sick of working on the same thing for so long like body work. What was really helpful to me was making a list of task's and really staying focused on atleast crossing off something everyday I worked on the car.

A good argument for doing the interior before the paint is you will not be climbing in and out of the car, risking scratches or worse, while you upholster and fit the interior pieces. Remove the finished interior panels before exterior bodywork and paint and carefully reinstall them after.
    Installing glass and exterior trim, taillights, etc., is last on the list.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by RT
    A good argument for doing the interior before the paint is you will not be climbing in and out of the car, risking scratches or worse, while you upholster and fit the interior pieces. Remove the finished interior panels before exterior bodywork and paint and carefully reinstall them after.
    Installing glass and exterior trim, taillights, etc., is last on the list.

RT
    I was planning on doing the fiberglass work in the interior before paint, so i can have the windshield out while i made the "A Pillars" and such. Maybe i should consider covering the dash at that point as well?

My first stages was slightly different, I spent ages planning what I was douing and making scale models of the chassis and sourcing parts. When I had as much as I neded to get going, i.e. steel, special tools V21, transaxle, lasers etc,

My list went like:
    Fit engine to transaxle, make adapter, buyu and modify flywheel/clutch etc.
    Make chassis
    mount engine
    Make EFI and Ignition systems
    get engine running
    (buy and strip down donor ford granada)
    fit drive shafts, electrics, cooling,
    make hubs
    make suspension and wishbones
    make body (which is still ongoing some 2 years later)
    drive car
    continue making body
    etc...
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

Quote Originally Posted by nicktruman

never thought I'd see that, what did you use off the granada?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey078

I used everything!
    Electrics, driveshafts, radiator, fans, hubs, steering column/rack abs.. Almost totally recycled.

As far as the DVLA are concerned my kitcar is a Granada, the logbook has it as a 5.3l V12 1994 granada ultima. On the point system it qualifies.
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey078

I used everything!
    Electrics, driveshafts, radiator, fans, hubs, steering column/rack abs.. Almost totally recycled.

As far as the DVLA are concerned my kitcar is a Granada, the logbook has it as a 5.3l V12 1994 granada ultima. On the point system it qualifies.

How does it qualify on the points system if you havent used the body/monocoque of the Granada?

Cheers