Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G28/Nissan maxima windshield

G28/Nissan maxima windshield

Back when I got my G28 it was common to cut the bottom corners of the windshield to fit and that is what I have. Then people began to slot the body instead of cutting the windshield and that makes sense to me. While we were doing a door modification I found that my windshield was also cut on both sides. I have a crack in the windshield now and I want to replace it with a stock uncut windshield. From what I understand, the body slot method let's me keep a stock unit. If I have to modify my windshield and doors to accept a stock unit I will. I never did have confidence in the cut windshield, but we cut it some more when we modified the doors. Anybody get an uncut maxima into a G28?

Re: G28/Nissan maxima windshield

Mine is slotted if you want me to take some pictures for you?

If you go this route, be sure to check what is underneath the corners and make sure that the windshield isn't going to come into contact with the bases of the windshield pillars that are typically located in this region.

Chris

i have a 1996 maxima windshield uncut if you want it. I went with a diablo instead of a murci. You can also go to your nearest autoglass shop, get one for about $110. not bad...

Quote Originally Posted by No-Bull
    Mine is slotted if you want me to take some pictures for you?

If you go this route, be sure to check what is underneath the corners and make sure that the windshield isn't going to come into contact with the bases of the windshield pillars that are typically located in this region.

Chris
    Sure , pictures would be great. I think I understand the concept but pics are always nice. Did you have to cut the sides to make it narrower?

Quote Originally Posted by lambo4242
    i have a 1996 maxima windshield uncut if you want it. I went with a diablo instead of a murci. You can also go to your nearest autoglass shop, get one for about $110. not bad...
    I'm guessing that shipping might be more Han that. Where are you located?

I'm in Houston, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by lambo4242
    I'm in Houston, Tx
    Yeah I'm in Idaho. Thank you for your offer.

Dratts,

Here are the pictures I promised you.

If you go this route, you might want to consider reinforcing the fiberglass from underneath because you'll create a weak spot between the slot and the door hinge area.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Went to two glass shops today that were recommended for their ability to cut windshields. I'm going with one that charges $73 for the windshield, $100 to cut it and $75 to install it. If I'm lucky we will only use one windshield without breaking it. Every time we break one it's an extra $73. I was surprised to hear of his technique. He uses a water cooled belt sander with 80 grit sandpaper. I thought that it would take forever that way, but he says that each pass removes an inch of glass.

Be sure to check the construction and strength of your A pillars and make sure there isn't any extra play in them or else you'll be replacing your windshield over and over again.

I've noticed that one mistake some guys make is to use 1/4" or 1/2" square tube for the inner windshield frame because it's less expensive and doesn't require heavier tools for bending. This isn't only bad for your windshield but also very unsafe. Even the strongest of windshield frames will take heavy damage during a roll over however the intent is to give you as many precious inches as possible which could mean the difference between life or death.

Others build the frame strong enough however they forget to attach the fiberglass "A pillars" to the inner frame which only leaves the body as the support structure for the windshield. As soon as there is any flex in the body all of this energy is transferred to the windshield which causes it to break.

Just my 2 cents.. 8)

Chris