Thread: ????what do you think???

????what do you think???

ok i have an 85 fiero v6 4spd today the clutch went all the way down and is very lose?? it has fluid?? the car will go into gear but won't drive?? do you think its my clutch or trans???

plaese any info would be great.. thanks, Anthony

Re:????what do you think???

I Try not to think.. it causes drain bramage..

Thats why I leave it up to the pros over at Pennocks forum.. Can't help anyhow since I have an auto but you'll find tons o tons of goodies over there on cluches (even nifty alum flywheels)
    Be careful though.. you can get lost for days.. heres the link.

http://www.fiero.nl

My 1980 Rabbit did that...all it needed was a new cable...is your cable adjustable???...stretched???...broken???
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

Well, for starters, the fiero clutch doesnt use a cable, it is hydraulic.
    It has a master cylinder and a slave cylinder.

If your clutch pedal went down over time, it could be a bent clutch pedal arm (aluminum riveted to a steel section) or a bad clutch fork, etc.

But if it went down overnight suddeny, you may have a bad cylinder (either master or slave)

Im not sure the best way to check which one it is. You could look for an obvious leak at either. If the slave is bad it would actually be leaking more than likely.

If the master cylinder is bad it probably wont have an obvious leak, it will be leaking inside. In other words, it cant build any pressure when you press the pedal.

I would open the bleed valve on the slave cylinder and have someone push the clutch pedal while you watch to see if there is any fluid coming out. This will let you know if the master cylinder is actually doing anything.
    But watch your eyes!
    I let the wife help bleed the brakes on a Datsun 280Z one time, she at the pedal, me eye level with the brake bleed screw.
    She pressed the pedal before I said go, and i got brake fluid straight in the eye. MAN! I thought I was gonna go blind, it burns severely!! just a word of caution LOL
    Good Luck with the clutch.
    Also check out Pennocks Forum for cluth info
    www.fiero.nl