Thread: Wheel adapter stud issues - Please Help!

Wheel adapter stud issues - Please Help!

I am getting ready to arrange to have my wheel adapters made and I need a little more knollage first.
    I am planning to have my adapters made hub and wheel centric to help minimize vibration issues.
    My rear adapters will only be ¾ of an inch thick. Since my studs are almost 1” long I will need to cut off a ¼ of an inch off the studs or drill into the back of the wheels so the protruding studs will have somewhere to go. My question is what would be the best way to go with this?
    Second issue:
    My wheels came with 14mm lug bolts with what appears as a 90 degree acorn type seat. Should I order my wheel adapters with 14mm studs and get 14mm acorn nuts to attach them with? Or should I have them made to accept studs?
    My concern is that I placed one of my 12mm acorn lug nuts in the wheel and it didn’t seat properly. Where the 14mm stud fits properly.

Any help will be appreciated -

Re: Wheel adapter stud issues - Please Help!

MacGyver,

Although I don't have insight into your "second issue"... I have worked with regards to your first. I personally would think it best to trim down the studs rather than drilling into the rear of your rim (correct me if I'm wrong), and the best way that I have found to trim studs so that they still work properly would be to put a nut all the way down on the stud, then trim the stud to the desired length and slightly round off the freshly cut edge.

When you're all finished, remove the nut. The nut will act as a die so that when it is removed from the freshly trimmed stud, it will chase the threads out and you'll be left with a fully functional stud that won't cross thread when you try to put a nut or lug back on it.
    CJ

I would go with the 14mm lugs for the rims side so there are no issues later. For your existing lugs, you can cut them as mentioned above or you can see if they make a replacement stud at the correct length and press knurl. Most auto parts store carry a veriety of lugs to choose from.

Ferrari Berlinna is correct! Gowith the 14mm studs normal length and let the wheels do the rest.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

OK sounds good- thanks guys -

I'll plan on trimming a 1/4 of an inch or so from the existing lugs utilizing the method described. Now I'll just have to find lug nuts that will fit the wheels correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    OK sounds good- thanks guys -

I'll plan on trimming a 1/4 of an inch or so from the existing lugs utilizing the method described. Now I'll just have to find lug nuts that will fit the wheels correctly.
    Sean: You should not have to cut them.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

When you get your adapters made make sure the inboard side had been machined out to fit the center pilot on the hub. On the outboard make sure a pilot is made to fit your wheel also.
    Go with 14mm studs.
    Your wheels will probably have recessed areas to clear the studs btw.

Yes jdinner -
    I'll make sure the adapters are machined to fit both the hubs inner and outer wheel. I know how important this is.
    Funnywheels -
    I Will have to cut about a 1/4 of an inch off the 1 inch rear studs since I will only need a 3/4 inch adapter (spacer) There is no indent or anything on the wheels. It's just flat.