Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carbon fiber/fiberglass tutorials?

carbon fiber/fiberglass tutorials?

quick question

which is better to use (considering durability, quality, safety,
    and price) for bodies and dash etc..
    carbon fiber or fiberglass?
    basically my midget car idea is progressing and i need to plan
    ahead. since i will be doing this myself, i need detailed
    instructions on how to do this and whats needed.
    thanks everyone
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Re:carbon fiber/fiberglass tutorials?

yea like thats any help
    hehehe

thanks alot
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Auto mx,Carbon fiber is hard to work with,even if you've been doing fiberglass work a long time,epoxy resins used with it are hard to work with,mixing ratios must be perfect on it won't dry right,and is hard to wet out material with,the easiest most forgiving for a beginer is polyester resin and fiberglass mat,three layers of 1 1/2 oz. mat will give you a 1/8-3/16 thick part after you roll it out depending on how much you compress it during rollout.have fun,don't you love that smell!!
    MIKE

what about prices between the 2 materials?
    what would an estimate be for the two?

and finally is it worth the extra work?
    since CF is much more valued in the end...
    i am going for under 400lb total including engine so weight and
    budget are everything. i dont want to be hauling around an
    upside down glass bottom boat.

BTW thanks for input and that forum will help alot

Carbon fiber would be about ten times the cost of glass mat for materials,and the epoxy resin is 3-4 times the cost of polyester,carbon fiber is much stronger than glass fiber,but only if done perfect,it is also a very directional product as far as load strengths,so you really need to be used to working with it,it dosen't matter how much stronger it is for a dash or body,if it dosen't have enough bulk,or shape,curves etc,to make a thin carbon fiber panel hold it's shape and look good,you can use carbon fiber with polyester in strands to reinforce stress areas.
    MIKE

I made small flat panels out of carbon-fibre, one layer of carbon fibre backed with two layers of 1 1/2 oz matt (polyester resin ),on an old pane of glass ..layed it all up at the same time.. wetted it out.. rolled it ...looked good for dash inserts, etc..try it..

yea after looking into the whole thing i think fiberglass is
    better for my purpose

i might go with CF for a future project but only if i get so good
    at FG that i amaze myself :P

also, i would try CF if it wasnt so expensive
    but eh well no sponsors anyway

Here is another way to make use of the old glass from the rear of a Fiero. I use mine for making flat panels out of carbon fiber or fiber glass. Here are the steps.

1) Set the rear Fiero glass on something out of the way so as your parts cure they will not be disturbed of something dropped on them to mar them. Place the Outside surface up. Newspapers are to be placed under the glass to avoid making a mess like I did in my garage.

2) Clean and buff the surface with a high speed buffer. This gets all of the built up junk from the glass and smoothes out any imperfections in the glass.

3) Wax the glass with Mold wax. I used about 5 coats on the first set of parts. Thereafter waxed one time. That process seems to work fine.

4) Cut the glass matt to fit the part you want to make. I usually make a cardboard template first to see how it is going to lay out.

5) Mix up the resin and hardening agent. Paint the glass with the resin in the area where you’re making your part.

6) Lay the carbon fiber of fiberglass matt on the area. I like to soak mine in a pan to get the resin through out the cloth or fibers.

7) Roll out any air bubbles. After looking it over to insure all areas are covered, let it dry overnight.

8) Simply pick up the parts from the window. Set you pattern over the new part and trim to suit your application.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.