Thread: 2.8 Temperature

2.8 Temperature

Hello all, I have a quick question.....what is the average temperature that your 2.8 automatic fiero motor runs at going down the highway? My fan is set to run all the time, in town or traffic it runs around 195 to 205, but going down the highway it creeps up to 220 to 225? I put a lower rubber air dam just below the radiator to deflect air at highway speeds up into the radiator which helped a little, and I also took a 71 Camaro center dash duct and fabricated a lower air dam scoop the feeds air directly to the radiator when moving.

Re: 2.8 Temperature

Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver8062
    Hello all, I have a quick question.....what is the average temperature that your 2.8 automatic fiero motor runs at going down the highway? My fan is set to run all the time, in town or traffic it runs around 195 to 205, but going down the highway it creeps up to 220 to 225? I put a lower rubber air dam just below the radiator to deflect air at highway speeds up into the radiator which helped a little, and I also took a 71 Camaro center dash duct and fabricated a lower air dam scoop the feeds air directly to the radiator when moving.
    My Countach runs about 195-205 without a/c and creeps up to 220-225 with the a/c on. Now my 328 does not have the front end shrouded the way the Lambo is. It's basically like a stock fiero and it runs a good 10-15 cooler in all situations. On the countach, my fan is set up to run all the time and it suffers from a less than ideal position and reduced air flow. I'm installing a Champion 3 row radiator and dual auxiliary pusher fans on the condensor to help with the higher temps. That should be more than enough to drop the temps a little and should handle the motor swap a little later down the road.

Have you tried to jack up of the car to get the air bubbles out of the cooling system before filling with fluids ?

Also try to lower the tempature by changing the theromostat to open quicker.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Like Dave says, jack up the back as high as you can. I'm talking about 1.5 feet at least. Watch out for the front spoiler when doing so.

Another thing to bring engine bay temperatures down is to wrap the exhaust with header wrap.

Hey guys, those all sound like feasible problems but I believe it is a cooling system problem introduced by the body kit that may not be directing the air at highway speed. Has anyone tried the dual electric fans from a ford taurus? They are the most efficient of all the stock vehicle cooling fans. Also Would an aluminum replacement radiator be much more efficient than the stock? Thanks!

Generaly its the other way around, temperature will be bit lower during highway speeds and higher in the city during stop and go traffic.

Try sealing the gaps between rad and fan shroud with some automotive foam. I did same thing on one of my cars and it forced air to go through the rad fins rather then going around it

Your car is running to hot. Like all modern cars, the electric fans are only for spot cooling when the car is not moving. The first thing to check is the radiator. Make sure that air can flow to it, NOT around it, and out. Next check your cooling tubes. The trouble areas are just in front of the rear wheels. Make sure that they have not be crunched. The tubes should be flat with NO bend towards the engine. My car had this issue. The tube was bent up just a little, but when I dropped the pipe I was over 50% squished. Now you can burp the system.