Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need fiberglass panel advice. Please Help before I goof it up!

I need fiberglass panel advice. Please Help before I goof it up!

I thought this would be a good day to tackle a fitting problem I'm having. My engine lid doesn't line up with the rest of my panels and I thought I would ask you guys before I do what I think is best and start cutting.

Both corners are sticking up and need to be refitted. The right side is the worst. It's up over a half of an inch from where it is suppose to be. The left side is up about 5/16ths.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: I need fiberglass panel advice. PLEASE HELP before I goof it up!

I was thinking of cutting on the red line and reposition it. Then glass it back together again. I also have the inner structure to deal with as well. Am I taking the correct approach to this? I can't think of another way to get around this.

This car is getting to be a nightmare.

Are you not making a steel frame for it? that would hold it in place.
    Can you apply to under sideand move it?
    or just put weight on it for a day and see if it stays
    I had a part box on a trunk once and it warped the trunk permanently maybe do that in your favor?
    The only time i did it. I slotted thru your red line 50% from the under side and then moved it to the correct angle then strengthened

Sean;

I would see if you can adjust the piece through weighting down and possibly a heat gun to the piece before cutting.

One of the disadvantages to cutting where you say is that the curve upward will not disappear and you will end up with a slight ridge where you cut that will need a bunch of feathering.

I usually try to make some wood forms that give the correct shoe you want and then screw those to the outside of the part, heat up the inside surface and then once cooled, put a couple layers of glass on the inner surface to hold the proper shape. If you already have an inner part put on the outer part then cut the inner part on the tallest surfaces and do the same wood forms and glass the inner cut lines. That will also hold your outer shape.

Throw a pic of the inner surface so we can see what it looks like. Cut the outer surface as a last result is my recommendation.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Here is a view of the inner structure. Do you think I should cut out a section like you suggested? It's very strong now. You can't push or twist the panel in the correct place at all. With the inner section removed it would probably give some. I have steel support near the window to give additional support for the window and hinges, and struts.

I don't think putting weight on it would help in this case.

I know it won't help you this time. But I always insist that my panels are NOT bonded together by the panel maker. You are illustrating a prime example why. Bonding together during the build is much easier in the long run. I know the type of resin and bonding adhesive John used to make those panels, I don't think you are going to be able to warp or heat and warp them that much. Or at least I think they will, over time, try to go back to their original shape. I think you will have to either cut the outer skin and rebond or cut a slice out of the back and pull it down. JMHO...

I agree with Bartman. I have been able to reshape large panels by using a kerosene powered torpedo heater like a giant heat gun but separating the inner from the outer and re bonding in the correct position bay be your best bet.

Awesome quality control!

Good luck brother.

Thats a tough one Mac, what I would do in your situation is get behind the panel and cut away a 2'' strip from the backing portion of the panel near the edge. I would then pre-drill and counter sink some holes for some self tapping screws. Lay a 2'' strip of bent steel down with the shape you need, Use some duraglass and screws to keep it in place. Glass and fill over the piece of steel so it blends into the rear structure of the panel. Done deal, easier said then done though

Hope that helps