Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help; New builder

Help; New builder

Hello, I am 16 years old, turning 17 soon, live in Ontario, Canada and have a few questions as I am thinking of starting a new build ofcourse with the help of mechanics and friends and have a few questions.

1) I plan to buy from kitcar INC, what is easier, Mercy 1 or Mercy 2 or Dee low?
    2) How much would labor cost me spending 2-4 hours a day
    3) How easy is to take the Pontiac Fiero body apart and how time consuming?
    4) I am planning to put a Nissan Skyline GTS engine into the Fiero, would it fit?

And if can give me more tips and advice, would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: Help; New builder

Quote Originally Posted by Dani_Z
    Hello, I am 16 years old, turning 17 soon, live in Ontario, Canada and have a few questions as I am thinking of starting a new build ofcourse with the help of mechanics and friends and have a few questions.
    Welcome to the forum!
    1) I plan to buy from kitcar INC, what is easier, Mercy 1 or Mercy 2 or Dee low?
    Neither one is "Easier" Lamborghini replica's are by far the most difficult and in some cases the most expensive kits to build. Keep in mind that only 3% of people who start building them will complete the build. It does not matter if you go for a Murcielago, Diablo or Countach they both require lots of work, Lots of time and lots of money to complete. They ARE NOT for beginners.

2) How much would labor cost me spending 2-4 hours a day
    That depends on the hourly rate. I know my mechanic will charge me $65 an hour so by dividing that up on a total build it can cost anywere from a few hundred dollars to several thousands depending on what they charge and how many weeks they will work on the project. Most people won't touch Kitcars BTW.

3) How easy is to take the Pontiac Fiero body apart and how time consuming?
    That depends on skilled you are. I've striped apart many cars anywere from a couple of hours to a few days.

4) I am planning to put a Nissan Skyline GTS engine into the Fiero, would it fit?

And if can give me more tips and advice, would be appreciated, thanks.

You can put whatever engine you want in a Fiero chassis but it will cost you money the less amount of work you do yourself. I wouldn't recommend a Lamborghini kitcar at your age although they sound super cool and look nice but I can tell you they aren't as simple as putting a body kit on a honda civic. I remember making the mistake of buying a Fiero and attempting to stretch it and all this stuff and I had a huge mess in my garage were I just ended up reassembling the car and breaking even(Meaning I lost money) on it.

Please check out dales site www.lambobuilder.com he offers very good advice having built 3 Lamborghini replica's.

MY advice is get some experience under your belt, learn how to weld, work on cars and fiberglass because the more labor you do yourself the more you'll save in the long run, go buy yourself an inexpensive project car like a honda civic, camaro or something to learn from so that way you get the basic idea of how a project car should be build and try to do all the work yourself. Stock up on tools and many different types you can possibly get. Find a nice work place/garage storage area you can work out of. If your parents aren't paying for the project I also high suggest you start investing in some funds for a couple of years because these kits from ground zero are very expensive to begin with and they will only continue to sky rocket the more you progress in the build.

Like I said these lamborghini kits are not only expensive to build but extremely difficult to get it right and they are not for beginners. You should consider buying an MR2 based 355 kit or a PISA Fiero based kit were its mostly direct bolt on replacement panels. They won't break the bank, pretty simple(Still not easy) to build but a great learning experience for someone your age to learn from.

Otherwise you'll be throwing all of your money away I like I did at an early age trying to play in the big league of owning a Lamborghini Replica as my first car and project.

Thank you for your answer and honesty, I appreciate it. A 355 kit would be fine to, is 360 also possible and considering I live in Ontario, where should I get a Ferrari based kit from? as freight overseas as far as I know would cost allot of money, but from U.S is at most $1,500 for 500 lbs.

Again, thanks so much for you help and advice, I will follow it!

Welcome to the Forum.

Buy the Nissan Skyline GTS and save some money. (I have a 355 Spiger)

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I have the 355 spyder kit, also in Ontario and many other kits

That's perfect, can you PM me a list of your kits and prices and any other info I need, it would be greatly appreciated!

Lol, that's what I am thinking to do, but my brothers friend is a mechanic and he is working on a bugatti veyron replica and has offered to help me free of charge, I have a few more questions

If I go through with a 355 kit for mr2 or fiero not requiring and kind of stretch or such, what kind of tools do I need? I have a good idea, but not enough experience.

I have a 355 Spider Kit. Check it out.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    I have a 355 Spider Kit. Check it out.

Dave
    Where is it? Sorry, not good with site.

Where exactly are you in ontario?

I am in Mississauga

www.kwikercars.com

I have a 355 for sale too.