Thread: fuel gauge-sender hookup

fuel gauge-sender hookup

Here goes again guys! After getting all of my Veglia 328 real Ferrari gauges working in my F40 except the oil pressure (still need sender) I found the final item- the gas gauge and sending unit off a wrecked 328. The first observation ; the float travel on the 328 sender is twice that of the Fiero; indicating a much deeper fuel tank on the 328. Before I drop the tank, and attempt to modify the float rod to compensate, does anyone know the ohm range on the stock Fiero sender? I am going to assume the Veglia setup is different? I would obviously love to work with the one in the tank if possible. Any input would be appreciated!! Steve

Re: fuel gauge-sender hookup

Unless the OHM range is very close, I think I would try to use the 328 sender if you can. By shortening the length of the float arm, you should be able to cut down on the throw of the arm.... making it usable for a shallower tank.

The Fiero fuel indicator is a zero to 90 ohm device.

Nelson
    Nelson

Thanks guys; Installation of the Ferrari sender will be a challenge, as it is only a sender; not integrated with the fuel pump. At this point I am not convinced it even works. Put an ohm tester on the two spade connectors, and got NO ohm reading-regardless of moving the float. Does the sender have to be connecected to anything (battery ground) in order to give an ohm reading? I am not an electrical genius.
    Also, there seems to be an option to install resistors on the sender wire; but only if the sender has a higher ohm range than the gauge. The Veglia gauge is higher ohms than the stock Fiero sender. Again, any input greatly appreciated!! Steve

What are the book values for the Veglia sender and gauge? WRT to your question on the sender resistance, you should not need any power to measure resistance.
    Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by stevep914
    Thanks guys; Installation of the Ferrari sender will be a challenge, as it is only a sender; not integrated with the fuel pump. At this point I am not convinced it even works. Put an ohm tester on the two spade connectors, and got NO ohm reading-regardless of moving the float. Does the sender have to be connecected to anything (battery ground) in order to give an ohm reading? I am not an electrical genius.
    Also, there seems to be an option to install resistors on the sender wire; but only if the sender has a higher ohm range than the gauge. The Veglia gauge is higher ohms than the stock Fiero sender. Again, any input greatly appreciated!! Steve
    Nelson

Difficult to find the ohm range on this Veglia model, but it appears to be 0-20 full and 200 to 270 empty.