Thread: Clutch/Brake master question for murci-style kit owners

Clutch/Brake master question for murci-style kit owners

I'm going to have to bleed the brakes and clutch pretty soon, and... i ca mostly get to the brakes, but i can barely even get my hand to touch the clutch master (fiero based Vendetta kit). I'm wondering what others are doing for access...

My thoughts so far are

1) pray nothing happens after you put it together (do NOT like this one)
    2) cut whats left of the stock wheel well off on the drivers side and when i make the wheel well engineer an access panel into it. (think i have to do this no matter what)
    3) find some kind of reservoir relocation kit (no clue of they make them)

If possible I'd think 2+3 are the best as i cold replace it later, but i could easily add fluid as needed from the access panel I'll be putting in the front trunk if i could just move the reservoir.

I'm hoping that someone might have pics, part numbers/links or other info about how they dealt with the whole "tiny hood doesn't allow access to your mechanical area" thing

Re: Clutch/Brake master question for murci-style kit owners

Wilwood makes several small mastercylinders that can be installed with a remote reservoir. Check out their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder
    Wilwood makes several small mastercylinders that can be installed with a remote reservoir. Check out their web site.
    Any idea what the capacity of the g6 (f40 trans) master is? The fiero master needs to be spaced by two washers to ensure you dont damage the TO Bearing, if I'm going to buy a new, custom master I'd like to get the right one.

If you replace the clutch master (dash) you need to find one with the exact bore and stroke as the original or it could cause damage to the pressure plate or not work at all.
    If you know the stroke length you could change up the clutch slave (transmission) to move the correct distance.

Clutch Reservoir.
    I had this problem on a friends Diablo. To top off the reservoir I had to remove the wheel well inner fender and pump the fluid into the reservoir. Its not a big deal considering the clutch fluid system requires little to no maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    If you replace the clutch master (dash) you need to find one with the exact bore and stroke as the original or it could cause damage to the pressure plate or not work at all.
    If you know the stroke length you could change up the clutch slave (transmission) to move the correct distance.

Clutch Reservoir.
    I had this problem on a friends Diablo. To top off the reservoir I had to remove the wheel well inner fender and pump the fluid into the reservoir. Its not a big deal considering the clutch fluid system requires little to no maintenance.
    so your thinking that making an access panel in the drivers wheel well should be sufficient?

Here is the link to the remote reservoir Wilwood master, not sure which bore&stroke is the same as the g6 one is..

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...ter%20Cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey078
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinner

Clutch Reservoir.
    so your thinking that making an access panel in the drivers wheel well should be sufficient?

The access panel is all im doing, those little hand pumps from Harbor Freight work tits dude. I also have a little room in my trunk area where I can build a panel if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets303

The access panel is all im doing, those little hand pumps from Harbor Freight work tits dude. I also have a little room in my trunk area where I can build a panel if need be.
    Nice, i was going to put a door in the front trunk too, but the clutch master is still hidden from that. But between the two i should be all set i guess.

The clutch master cylinder plastic reservoir is screwed on. The main purpose of the reservoir is to let you know when you are low. Can anyone think of any reason why you cannot mount the reservoir somewhere else with a tube back to the master cylinder? I am guessing that as long as it is higher, then it should work.

I had an isuzu in my G28 before i switched to an ls4 drivetrain. I never did get it to operate right even with lots of bleeding and adjusting. What I did to fill the master cyylinder was make a funnel and hose set up out of an old brake fluid bottle. I drilled a hole in the cap of the bottle for the hose. If you can get the cap off and see the level indicator you can easily add fluid this way. All you do is raise the bottle with fluid in it and the hose running to the master cylinder until you reach the level you want. If you ever get it right you shouldn't have to repeat this very often. It wasn't adding fluid to the master cylinder that caused me problems, but I never did get it to operate for very long. I don't miss my clutch at all, plus I have a much stronger transmission now.