Thread: Body mount and passenger compartment sealing q's

Body mount and passenger compartment sealing q's

first off, for reverence, i bought a Vendetta kit from someone else who had the body mounted by the vendor, here is the build thread: http://www.madmechanics.com/build-di...ta-tom-sawyer/

So the questions i have are as follows

1) the body seems solidly mounted, the doors work great, and some areas are fiber-glassed to the metal frame. There are, however, many many many places where all i can see is the body sitting of box steel. I dont know if (but hope that) there is something like fusor on top of the metal bonding it to the body. I assume it wont hurt to reinforce this if there is a bonding agent, and most likely its important that i do something incise there isn't. Being a total n00b to fiberglass, i need to know what to do, do i just lay some matting over the tubing and bond it (including the obvious roughing of the surface etc), or do i put something like fusor on the sides where the metal contacts the body and then lay some matting over.. anything special i should know? I dont believe that i can get the body to raise up at all, even if there isn't a bonding agent involved if that matters.

2) sealing the passenger compartment. What is the best thing to do here? the front area is pretty tight, it almost looks like the best thing to do is some spray foam for noise insulation etc (is there one that the poly-resin wont eat up?) and then just some 4 inch fiberglass tape and done. but the back side has massive areas that need to be filled, and these aren't surrounded by metal that either is or will be bonded to the body. So I'm wondering what the BEST method for this is? do i use some sheet metal with some kind of foam/rubber gasket to the body like i see in some production cars, lay up some largish fiberglass matting (seems like ti might crack) or a combination of the two (still fear of cracking)

currently I'm at the point in my build where i really have no desire to do body stuff (still on mechanical) but there are some obvious things to do before the engine goes in (like sealing off the passenger compartment in areas that will be difficult to access later) I have purchased most of the things I'll need for the body already (expecting to have to deal with hidden items like this during the mechanical stage of my build) so i should have everything i need to do it, but i want to ensure that i do it right, cause it'll be a pain to chip out some cracked up pile of crap later cause i was stupid and didn't ask.

Ohh and I'm more than happy to hear about any other things i need to button-up/worry about before i put the front cradle and engine in. as badly as i want this part done, i sure as hell dont want to take this crap out again later because i was in a rush now. And i certainly am NOT looking to save 75$ on something like a clutch master cylinder, then have to struggle with it later (an example of something that I'm replacing that works, but just dont want to deal with problems). I know, the "might as wells" are what realyl cost the money in these builds, but i intend to drive this quite a bit when I'm done and dont really want to worry about crap like i have in some of my past project cars when i was younger and had less funds. Considering the money i have into this thing already, "insurance" like replacing this or that realyl does help me sleep at night

Re: Body mount and passenger compartment sealing q's

-BUMP-

These are good questions whitey, and I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say about this. I too have bought a Murci kit car that was half completed and I'm running into mounting issues that seem questionable to me and would like to know what's the best way to secure and seal the body to the frame.

Re: Body mount and passenger compartment sealing q's

Whitey;

First for the mounting and bonding. If you can at all look up to the tops of the metal framing and see if there is anything , that would be your best way to confirm the bonding. Maybe a mirror on an extendable rod etc. to allow you to see up on top. If you don't have anything bonding the metal to the glass then you certainly need to.

If the glass surface is rough in the areas you will be looking at, you can use something like a low expanding spray in foam around the metal frame up against the body. This will allow you to fill in any gaps between the body and metal and provide a sandable/shapable surface to work with. Shoot the foam in around the metal and the body parts touching the metal so you get good coverage on the metal sides and top where it touches. Once the foam has hardened, you can cut the foam so that there is a slope on each side of the metal frame. The slope will expand out toward the fiberglass body. One thing about fiberglass matt and cloth is it sucks at really sharp angles. If you use the spray foam, you can shape more rounded edges for the glass to lay down over to get better adhesion. 90* angles quite often lead to air pockets between the glass and the metal edges. If the framing is up against the underside of the body panels and you are glassing upwards, (the metal sits below the fiberglass surface, the fiberglassing will be hard as once the mat is soaked, it will tend to pull away from the underside of the panels/metal and drop off. I haven't found an easy way to do the overhead glassing. Maybe someone with more experience in this area can help. Another option for those hard to reach places that require bonding can be fiberglass gel or kitty hair which is a bondo like substance but has short stand or long strand fiberglass stands in it. You apply it to the surfaces like bondo and it sill stick to upside down surfaces much better than matt and cloth.

Expanding foam on the passenger compartment is also a way to seal off complex corners etc. Just use low expanding so it doesn't push the panels around on you when expanding and curing.

As for buttoning up etc. I went fromone end to the other tightening and finishing all existing work to the frame before looking at bonding the panels to it. Make sure you check and tighten every nut and bolt before putting the engine/trans cradle in place. When doing that detailed examination, you will end up finding other items that you never thought of until you get in close.

Good luck with the projects and keep us updated with pics.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV