Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redesign a Fiero suspension for better geometry (Solidworks, ProEngineer, etc)

Redesign a Fiero suspension for better geometry (Solidworks, ProEngineer, etc)

We all know that the '88 Fiero suspension is (arguably) better. But it's still 20 years old.

I always wondered if with modern CAD/CAM software it would be possible to design a more modern
    A ) Double wishbone front + Double wishbone rear
    B ) Double wishbone front + fancy multi-link rear
    C ) another option I hadn't considered.

It would be great if it were to (almost) bolt in to the vehicle. Maybe use factory rear cradle attachment points and replace the rear cradle. The front end may be replaced as well, while utilizing the attachment points.

The goal is to apply what engineers have learned about suspension design in the last 30 years since the Fiero was built.

Let's put considerations such as: feasibility of actually making it a real life product, costs/reward, starting over with a tube-frame chassis, etc. on the back burner to let creativity flow.

Reasons I thought it would be a great idea to do this:
    1) It is a great way to learn/share ideas about modern suspension theory
    2) Learn suspension design applied to a specific project (with applied constraints), rather than just complete theory, or a scratch build vehicle.
    2) hopefully get a good debate going (please without name calling, etc. let's keep this civil)
    3) See how open source/collaborative thinking would work out in the Fiero world
    4) provide an avenue to share technical information/content for people with similar interests.

__
    Yes, I posted this on PFF here, http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/117227.html but as you can read, saying the thread went "off topic" would be an understatement. Maybe kit car builders here are more technically inclined. (and interested in this)

Don't worry too much about conforming to the Fiero width if necessary. That can always be fixed with wider fenders, or *gasp* a custom body.

Re: Redesign a Fiero suspension for better geometry (Solidworks, ProEngineer, etc)

Great idea, if you're in it for a profit I wouldn't even try. I think the market is so small profit wouldn't be possible. I hope I'm wrong if you push forward with it.

Re: Redesign a Fiero suspension for better geometry (Solidworks, ProEngineer, etc)

I always liked the fiero rear suspension that NAREC offered using the custom control arm that was adjustable with the custom upright that used the s10 bearing. I can't seem to find a picture of it right now. Does anyone have a picture of it? I don't know of anyone who ever purchased it but i thought it was a great design. If I ever get any spare time I may try and see if I can fab something up close to it, unless this thread offers some new ideas.

Mike

that is a good idea, but you must define the parameters of the suspension; race, sport, street. Or will there be variations of each

Will there be the requirement for off the shelf parts for service.......

Is there going to be a price point?

I just found my pictures of the 84-87 Fiero to C5 suspension NAERC showed at Knott's 2005.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

More photos
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by sactodreamer
    Great idea, if you're in it for a profit I wouldn't even try. I think the market is so small profit wouldn't be possible. I hope I'm wrong if you push forward with it.
    I don't think we're anywhere near that far yet. First we have to figure out a feasible design that makes a noticeable difference. Then we'll figure out if we can go onto the next step. (i.e.: one-off, or low volume manufacture) I have no illusions that the finite and frugal (read:cheap) market of Fiero owners, and the even smaller market of Fiero based kit cars would support a large scale production, let alone profit.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=305476&page=1 I posted to a suspension design forum I found. Maybe this will help find more results.

Know of any others?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton
    that is a good idea, but you must define the parameters of the suspension; race, sport, street. Or will there be variations of each

Will there be the requirement for off the shelf parts for service.......

Is there going to be a price point?
    How about we'll start with a stree/sport street (canyon carving, etc.) application and work from there. Most places have bad roads, so we should account for that. Glass-smooth race track surfaces allow for much more aggressive spring rates, and allow to ignore mid-corner dips that only affect one rear wheel.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Import
    Quote Originally Posted by sactodreamer
    I don't think we're anywhere near that far yet. First we have to figure out a feasible design that makes a noticeable difference. Then we'll figure out if we can go onto the next step. (i.e.: one-off, or low volume manufacture) I have no illusions that the finite and frugal (read:cheap) market of Fiero owners, and the even smaller market of Fiero based kit cars would support a large scale production, let alone profit.
    the Idea need to be economical ,it should fit the fiero 1st, make mounting plate that you could weld onto a tube chassis an use the same control arms upper an lower , in 2" an 3" lenghts
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!