Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    109

    Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    I picked up my 85 donor car today. Wondering if there are any topics or sites that just cover the basics on what end to start tearing a Fiero apart? Some basics, do's and dont's?

    Thanks, Matt


    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    160

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    What are you building? If you are cutting it down for a murci or diablo, take off hood, trunk, doors 1st.. that's the easy parts...depends if you want to resell parts or junk them....If junking them, I took a reciprocating saw and went to town! I was able to totally cut off top, front end, all body panels down to bare essentials on chassis in a weekend.. If you're wanting to resell part off fiero, then it's gonna take a while ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    109

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    Quote Originally Posted by lambo4242
    What are you building? If you are cutting it down for a murci or diablo, take off hood, trunk, doors 1st.. that's the easy parts...depends if you want to resell parts or junk them....If junking them, I took a reciprocating saw and went to town! I was able to totally cut off top, front end, all body panels down to bare essentials on chassis in a weekend.. If you're wanting to resell part off fiero, then it's gonna take a while ...
    Building a Diablo, New / Old IFG kit a guy bought in the mid 90's and never did anything with. I don't think I'm looking to re-sell, I live in God's country in Northern, MN and I don't see a strong demand for Fiero parts up in my area. I'm hoping to start a build thread here soon once I really get the ball rolling. I may drive it up to the local auto glass guy and have him pop out the windshield and rear window so I don't make a mess of that.

    Thanks, Matt


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    You know, I was hoping for the same thing when I started actually de-paneling my car!
    I never found a thread, but did receive help from members here when I asked a specific question. Perhaps a sticky thread in the form of a FAQ would be a good thing for this?

    It was all pretty easy to figure out except for the rear clip. I had a hard time getting that off, and ended up cracking it in a couple places.

    If you have any questions, let us know. I "just" got done doing this with mine, so it's still fresh in my mind.

    Good luck with your build.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    109

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    Quote Originally Posted by jntramey
    You know, I was hoping for the same thing when I started actually de-paneling my car!
    I never found a thread, but did receive help from members here when I asked a specific question. Perhaps a sticky thread in the form of a FAQ would be a good thing for this?

    It was all pretty easy to figure out except for the rear clip. I had a hard time getting that off, and ended up cracking it in a couple places.

    If you have any questions, let us know. I "just" got done doing this with mine, so it's still fresh in my mind.

    Good luck with your build.
    On that rear clip would you just suggest getting after it and not worry about cracking anything, cut and tear?

    Also, do those roof pieces come off, pop off or something? Or to you just start ripping or cutting?

    Thanks ,Matt

  6. #6

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    On the rear clip, make sure you take out the sail panels first - they are bolted in. The rear roof section is also bolted in from the interior on the roof panel. Don't worry too much about destroying it tho - I don't think it's worth anything.

    The sail panels, headlights, taillights, turn signals, fenders, doorskins, mirrors, and the beltline trim pieces and maybe the bumpers are all I'd worry about saving off the body. You can probably get $20-30 for selling each of these parts on ebay. Ship the bigger parts via greyhound bus if you decide to sell them.

    The sunroof, headliner, and the complete front roof fiberglass section are probably worth $100 on ebay or pennock's - i suggest you include all of the pieces.
    The part that lifts the sunroof has two tabes to squeeze, and it lets go of the sunroof - once it's loose in the back, the glass just slides out of the front and lifts off the car - it's made that way, kind of like a targa top, and you store the glass under the front hood.
    I've never managed to take off the front roof section without some damage. If you save the windshield, take it out first! The fiberglass is bolted in around the front of the headliner (probably at the rear too). It extends down the A-pillars and around the cowl with bolts under the windshield tray. In my experience, the windshield glue seeps around the a pillars, and glues it down. I've always tried to pry and pull and cut it with a knife, but never without cracking it. If you can get it out in one piece, it would be good to sell it with the windshield. Even if it breaks at the A-pillars, it might be salvageable for someone.

    The centerline trim pops off the doorskins, and there's a couple bolts underneath it. Once those and the mirrors are off, there are 6-8 bolts around the side that you take off. I had trouble with these - the heads are plastic, and it's a torx head. The ones that were really tight I stripped the head off. Now, whenever I take them off, I grab the whole thing with a pliers and turn it while turning the torx bit. If they get really bad, you can drill through them.
    I suppose since it's a lambo, you could just take off the doors anyway...

    The rocker panels are riveted on from the top. You can drill the rivets out, but I usually take a wood chisel and just hit them a couple times and they pop off.

    The decklid hinge spring is mean - I don't know how to take that off correctly.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    109

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    On the rear clip, make sure you take out the sail panels first - they are bolted in. The rear roof section is also bolted in from the interior on the roof panel. Don't worry too much about destroying it tho - I don't think it's worth anything.

    The sail panels, headlights, taillights, turn signals, fenders, doorskins, mirrors, and the beltline trim pieces and maybe the bumpers are all I'd worry about saving off the body. You can probably get $20-30 for selling each of these parts on ebay. Ship the bigger parts via greyhound bus if you decide to sell them.

    The sunroof, headliner, and the complete front roof fiberglass section are probably worth $100 on ebay or pennock's - i suggest you include all of the pieces.
    The part that lifts the sunroof has two tabes to squeeze, and it lets go of the sunroof - once it's loose in the back, the glass just slides out of the front and lifts off the car - it's made that way, kind of like a targa top, and you store the glass under the front hood.
    I've never managed to take off the front roof section without some damage. If you save the windshield, take it out first! The fiberglass is bolted in around the front of the headliner (probably at the rear too). It extends down the A-pillars and around the cowl with bolts under the windshield tray. In my experience, the windshield glue seeps around the a pillars, and glues it down. I've always tried to pry and pull and cut it with a knife, but never without cracking it. If you can get it out in one piece, it would be good to sell it with the windshield. Even if it breaks at the A-pillars, it might be salvageable for someone.

    The centerline trim pops off the doorskins, and there's a couple bolts underneath it. Once those and the mirrors are off, there are 6-8 bolts around the side that you take off. I had trouble with these - the heads are plastic, and it's a torx head. The ones that were really tight I stripped the head off. Now, whenever I take them off, I grab the whole thing with a pliers and turn it while turning the torx bit. If they get really bad, you can drill through them.
    I suppose since it's a lambo, you could just take off the doors anyway...

    The rocker panels are riveted on from the top. You can drill the rivets out, but I usually take a wood chisel and just hit them a couple times and they pop off.

    The decklid hinge spring is mean - I don't know how to take that off correctly.

    This would fall into the category of awesome info! Thank you!

    Matt

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    The deck lid hinge is actually quite easy...once you know the trick!

    I contemplated this very thing for hours before stumbling across the answer (got help from some members here too!)

    What I did:

    Be careful and work SLOW.
    The hinges are under tremendous torque and can break a finger or the back glass if they get in the way!

    Unbolt the lid and take it off, remember to undo the connector for the electric lid latch from the passenger side near the back window before attempting to remove the lid!!! The hinges will POP up and towards the back glass QUICKLY, so be ready for this and try to control the move.

    After the lid is off and hinges fully up in the air, loosen the hinge bolts DO NOT remove yet.

    Under each hinge is a squared off part of the torsion spring bar that works the hinge on the opposite side.

    above this piece is a pin that goes through the hinge support (this piece adjusts the spring tension on the torsion bar by selecting the hole the pin is placed in. There are 3 holes. The one in the middle is for lids with wings on them.)

    I placed the hook of a little ratcheting tie down strap (the kind you get a Wal-mart for cheap) to this squared off part of the torsion bar, and the other end of the tie down strap to a hole in the frame near the bumper.

    Ratchet it down, pulling the squared off part slightly forward. This releases the pressure on the pin, which can now be easily tapped completely out.

    Slowly release the tie down strap to the fully released position.

    Remove the strap and do the same to the other hinge.

    Now you can remove the hinge bolts completely as there is only a little tension on them.

    Good luck and be careful.





  9. #9
    Senior Member Jets303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    686

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?



    If you dont plan on saving anything, just tear into it. This is what mine looked like after

  10. #10
    Senior Member VF1Skullangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: Tearing apart a fiero, any de-build threads or info?

    www.lambolounge.com and www.kitcentral.com

    Both have guides and builders who have done the tear down, stretch and rebuild.

Similar Threads

  1. MOVED threads
    By yellowpad in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 01:42 AM
  2. Disappearing threads?
    By redhammer in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
  3. Fiero Owners look inside (more info on the G6 Six Speed info)
    By lowboost in forum Technical Discussion & Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 10:33 AM
  4. I want to build a car need some tech info
    By superbird in forum Technical Discussion & Question
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 10:19 AM
  5. Its not a Fiero Base but excelent info on build up
    By lambo25th in forum General Kitcar Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2002, 05:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •