Thread: Alternative locations/options for stretching a fiero - tall person here.

Alternative locations/options for stretching a fiero - tall person here.

I hope you guys aren't gettting sick of my questions.....not my intention. I just spend a lot of the time during the day thinking the build through, occasionally come up with some questions.

My question is: Has anyone stretched a fiero in multiple spots before? For instance, behind the firewall at the cradle and also ahead of the firewall in the floor pan area? The reason I ask is that I am much taller than the average guy....much taller. I know it's a tight fit, story of my life. I've already decided that I am going to cut the seat pan in the seat area and lower it 1" to 1.5". Also keeping the firewall behind the seat where it is so I can tip the seat back a little further. Just curious if I stretched the rear lets say 7" and then stetched the floor pan 4" how would that effect the build? Would the firewall end up behind the rear glass area? I'm not familiar with the interior guts in that area so it is hard for me to visualize?

As usual...any help, much appreciated.

thanks, Matt

Re: Alternative locations/options for stretching a fiero - tall person here.

Sounds to me that extending the floor pan area would result in having to lengthen the doors. What are you considering on building?

You could possibly move the rear firewall back and drop the pan but that will also require moving the rear glass too

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Sounds to me that extending the floor pan area would result in having to lengthen the doors. What are you considering on building?
    It's a mid 90 IFG body, diablo. I would drop the floor pan and possibly lenthen the rear firewall. I don't think I would have to do anything with the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton
    You could possibly move the rear firewall back and drop the pan but that will also require moving the rear glass too
    I guess that's what I was wondering, moving the glass back. I have never seen a real Diablo, let alone the inside of one in that area so I can not visualize the rear glass area? Are we talking major body mod, or shorting the rear trunk lid, or both?

The Fiero based Diablo already has the driver/passenger sitting farther back in the cab in than a real Diablo. The reason for that is the floor under the pedals is back farther from the front wheels than the real Diablo. Unless you can figure out how to move them to the front, they dictate the rest of your position. That seating puts your head next to the body "B" pillar. If you stretch the Fiero pan through the floor, in front of the rear firewall, and move the seat toward the rear, you position yourself even farther back and your head will be looking out the rear side window. You would have to move the rear window back also, as mentioned. None of that would present any engine/drivetrain problems if you used a Fiero drivetrain. If you wanted to use a BMW V12 or some other mid engine, you might not have enough space to fit that in behind the firewall while keeping the axles of the transaxle in proper location for the wheels in the rear wheel well arches.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by RT
    The Fiero based Diablo already has the driver/passenger sitting farther back in the cab in than a real Diablo. The reason for that is the floor under the pedals is back farther from the front wheels than the real Diablo. Unless you can figure out how to move them to the front, they dictate the rest of your position. That seating puts your head next to the body "B" pillar. If you stretch the Fiero pan through the floor, in front of the rear firewall, and move the seat toward the rear, you position yourself even farther back and your head will be looking out the rear side window. You would have to move the rear window back also, as mentioned. None of that would present any engine/drivetrain problems if you used a Fiero drivetrain.
    RT
    Good stuff to know. I figured I may be lookiing out that rear quarter glass, and I can live with that. I think that is a better alternative to being wedged into something that is difficult to drive and unfortable.

Right now I'm thinking 7" in the cradle and 4" in the floor. If I have to I will shorten the rear deck 4" and move the window back that far as well.

Thanks, Matt