Thread: scissor door type hinges

scissor door type hinges

Im looking for more info on doing this mod to my vehicle. i read 2 different post on this site about it. I know theres a guy selling a kit for 1600 dollars thats made for most imports(honda, toyota,etc) I don't want to pay that kind of money, I want to make the kit myself. I need info on latches, hinges, pictures from car shows.

Re: scissor door type hinges

Just to clarify on the 2 posts you read:

You did check Fletch's site (body page in lambolounge.com) and the post with a lot of pics (straight up doors) -
    http://www.madmechanics.com/cgi-bin/...55548;start=10

Otherwise, have you checked Street Dreams?
    http://www.iserv.net/~strdream/fiero.html

kitcarnut

the hinge that is used on cars to open like scissor but not realy as one ,it's more like McLaren is E150 or GMC full size Van rear door.but it is modified and it is lot of more work involved. BTW I used the same hinge on my 25th Replica .

Hey Paulino,

Mind posting the info you have on the guy who's selling the $1500 kit? Any websites? I'm curious to see what he offers.

The web site for the guy that sells conversion kits for most make of cars is: www.DeCaH.net
    His kit is about 1600 dollars and he claims no welding is needed!

I wouldn't think welding was needed either. You bolt one side of the hinge to the door and the other half to the body. Same with the strut. I haven't ever heard of anyone welding before. You need to align the door properly so it hits all the seals right. It's a lot easier to do with bolts.

Not to trip on this guy, but for $1500, he better fly down to my place and install it himself. There's a performance shop in Cali that charges that much and they do the work for you. Granted, they have a year-long waiting list.

Let me know how you do. I think Street Dreams has some nice hardware. If you can find it cheaper, even better.

Good luck,
    F

I know everyone was waiting patiently for this to die but I updated my page with a write up on the topic. Look under the "doors" section. I'll be posting diagrams of it soon.