Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Speedometers

GPS Speedometers

There are GPS speedometers now that have a fast link to the sats, anyone have any experience with them? I'm thinking about using one for a project rather than dealing with interfacing a regular speedo into a don0r chassis electonics. I know my regular GPS is accurate, I just wonder about drop outs and such. Comments?

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_produc...ometer_GPS.htm

Re: GPS Speedometers

I have not used one of those, but after looking at it, i believe it would be the answer to a lot of dash hook ups with odd ball transmissions or sender units.

also i am thinking they must have a significant type of redundancy or buffers to allow for tunnels and such, though as with all GPS devices, line of sight is a requirement for the best operation in regards to Sat triangulation etc.

I am going to order one and see how it works out. thank you for the link !!

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Digibeam
    I have not used one of those, but after looking at it, i believe it would be the answer to a lot of dash hook ups with odd ball transmissions or sender units.

also i am thinking they must have a significant type of redundancy or buffers to allow for tunnels and such, though as with all GPS devices, line of sight is a requirement for the best operation in regards to Sat triangulation etc.

I am going to order one and see how it works out. thank you for the link !!

Peace.
    That was my thought as well. I'm going to bite the bullet and order one, I just hope it's reliable.

I've used a GPS on my boat -- very accurate -dead on with the standard speedometer (that has since been removed) If you have a standard GPs / set it on the map mode (with speedometer readout) and drive in your area to check signal strength prior to ordering a seperate speedo.

I have used them. They are a little annoying due to the lag... Especially if you accellerate quickly. Sometimes you get up to 50 or 60 before it kicks in. also, sometimes your speedo just stops working and then kicks back in. in my opinion, they are a great solution for boats, but not for cars.

Quote Originally Posted by steve308
    I've used a GPS on my boat -- very accurate -dead on with the standard speedometer (that has since been removed) If you have a standard GPs / set it on the map mode (with speedometer readout) and drive in your area to check signal strength prior to ordering a seperate speedo.
    Use them all the time for NORMAL daily driving and when switching tire sizes say from 15" rims to 18-20 inch. Saves a lot of time, money and parts. For racing not so much as they can not keep up when the twin turbos kick in.

This is what I'm using for my build. The GPS units make a lot of things simple and that's allows me to focus on other more complicated problems.

Chris

What about this? http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=GPS_Speedo this way you can use the speedo of your choice... Haven't used it before but it looks as though I may!

Quote Originally Posted by naoufel
    What about this? http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=GPS_Speedo this way you can use the speedo of your choice... Haven't used it before but it looks as though I may!
    interesting. anyone have experince in operation?

Quote Originally Posted by naoufel
    I really like the look of this. I have a Auto Meter ultra lite that matches all my dials, to calibrate it looks like a nightmare, this would make things a lot simpler. Do these work in cloudy conditions? I know my garmin sat nav struggles at times. With so many speed camras in the UK would it be too bigger risk?
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy