Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LamboJayso's: How to make the rear spoiler functional on the LP640!

LamboJayso's: How to make the rear spoiler functional on the LP640!

Ok, here's a quick "how to" on making your rear spoiler on your LP640 functional.

Material:
    - 1/2"x1/2" & 3/4"x3/4" 16ga metal (light stuff)
    - Dodge Caravan rear window motor, at your local junkyard. I paid $10 for mine. (preferrably left side)
    - Two 4" T-Hinges which you can pick up at your local hardware store for $5 bucks
    - grinder & welder

1. First thing you'd want to do is reinforce the underneath of the trunk.

2. Then close the trunk and screw the bottom half of the trunk to the frame you just mounted underneath. Arrows show where I screwed it down.

3. Next, you want to cut out the spoiler. Take your time and cut it out because any mess ups here, means more bodywork later on.

4. Open back the trunk and make a rectangular frame for the spoiler itself out of 1/2"x1/2" 16ga sq tubing (Probably can see the frame better in the previous pic).
    - Next, weld the T-hinges to the trunk frame
    - Then weld the spoiler frame to the T-hinges

5. Close the trunk and temporarily mount the spoiler panel to the trunk using 16ga sheet metal tabs.

6. Open back the trunk and screw the spoiler frame to the spoiler panel for now until you're ready to fiberglass it in.

7. Now, weld in stopper tabs from the frame to right up against the spoiler frame. To prevent the spoiler from dropping down into the trunk once you remove the outer sheet metal tabs.

8. Close the trunk and remove the sheet metal tabs from the spoiler. You should be able to open and close the spoiler manually now. Pre-open the spoiler to the desired height (I preset mine 2" high), then mount the Caravan motor while the spoiler is pre-opened to determine spoiler height.

9. Then wire her up!

Here's how it should look once completed:

Thanks
    Easy does it.

Re: LamboJayso's: How to make the rear spoiler functional on the LP640!

Great post!... Very helpful. Do you have it set up to lift and lower electronically or is it manual?

Great write up! very detailed!

Thanks for posting this. This is very detailed and useful. I can definitely use this. Thanks! ;D
    Keep dreaming if you want to, I'm building mine!

Nice job, thank you for the post,
    i am wondering if you have limit switches installed for total lift or return, so the motor stops at the up and down positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Digibeam
    Nice job, thank you for the post,
    i am wondering if you have limit switches installed for total lift or return, so the motor stops at the up and down positions?
    Great question! I never thought of that til now!

Also... how do you post so many pictures in one post? i seem to have a limit of only 2 at a time...
    thanks!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Keep em' comin! Although I wasn't really planning on making mine functional, I might just do it! Again I can't thank you enough, not because I really wanted to know how to make my rear spoiler functional but for the simple fact that you posted a "how to" in a forum that desperately needs it! Now all we need is for those geniuses who are lurking around to get inspired and write up their own tutorials!!! Thanks again!!!

Looks really good, thanks for the detailed DYI.

I found that if you have a G28 that the OEM Lambo spoiler is the exact same size as the spoiler section molded into the rear panel. I found one on EBay for around $50 which I figure will cost me less in the long run (time and material) than bringing my G28 panel up to a decent thickness, adding hinges etc.

The OEM spoiler has a hinge point on each end that's bonded underneath and operates from a pair of small linear actuators. I'm going to reduce down to only one actuator since I don't have any plans of driving 200 mph and creating a ton of downforce.

Now if we can just figure out a practical way of getting the spoiler to move up and down with speed.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by No-Bull
    Looks really good, thanks for the detailed DYI.

I found that if you have a G28 that the OEM Lambo spoiler is the exact same size as the spoiler section molded into the rear panel. I found one on EBay for around $50 which I figure will cost me less in the long run (time and material) than bringing my G28 panel up to a decent thickness, adding hinges etc.

The OEM spoiler has a hinge point on each end that's bonded underneath and operates from a pair of small linear actuators. I'm going to reduce down to only one actuator since I don't have any plans of driving 200 mph and creating a ton of downforce.

Now if we can just figure out a practical way of getting the spoiler to move up and down with speed.

Chris

Post pics of it! (top and bottom)... if you can post pic of how you mounted it as well that would be great!