Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F430 steering wheel build, Please think along..

F430 steering wheel build, Please think along..

Hey I am working on this f430 steering wheel... I made a video of what I've been doing so far and the difficulties I'm facing..

Check it out and post your ideas here please...

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdHDCeY1Nbo

Re: F430 steering wheel build, Please think along..

keep up the good work mate. going to look crazy when done. I have no advice though sorry neever modified a steering wheel

Since you are going to weld, machine aluminum, replace the centre hub, reupholster the entire wheel and buy another one I suggest you try this.

Use your original steering from the Peugeot. Make the entire wheel shape out of 3/8" round bar or larger. There is usually steel stemming from the centre hub so you can just weld off of that.
    Build up your center shape for the air bag using thin sheet metal leaving enough room for urethane.
    Use rubber hose for the external ring and bond it all together with urethane.
    Make sure you use windshield urethane from a glass installer.
    This urethane rubber can be carved and dremelled to shape. You can even sand it.

When you upholster the wheel it will all be hidden and everything under the leather will be strong and safe.

I bought mini switches for another project like this;
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...ni_switch.html
    The are about 70 cents each.

Just a suggestion

I'm in no position to give you any advice, but I must see: looking fabulous! I thought you were going with a SEAT steering wheel? But you changed it to and AUDI?

Sander

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    Since you are going to weld, machine aluminum, replace the centre hub, reupholster the entire wheel and buy another one I suggest you try this.

Use your original steering from the Peugeot. Make the entire wheel shape out of 3/8" round bar or larger. There is usually steel stemming from the centre hub so you can just weld off of that.
    Build up your center shape for the air bag using thin sheet metal leaving enough room for urethane.
    Use rubber hose for the external ring and bond it all together with urethane.
    Make sure you use windshield urethane from a glass installer.
    This urethane rubber can be carved and dremelled to shape. You can even sand it.

When you upholster the wheel it will all be hidden and everything under the leather will be strong and safe.

I bought mini switches for another project like this;
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...ni_switch.html
    The are about 70 cents each.

Just a suggestion

Thats sounds like a good plan to me! When this fails I will definately go for your option as It might be even more accurate!

Regarding my current situation... would the windshield urethane be suitable also? It sounds like thats the stuff I'm looking for to fill up the seam and bond the part together.... or should I use another bonding agent in the center area and you the windshield urethane to finish the seam up? Do you have a brandname or a "professional" name of the urethane for me? Or is just called "windshield urethane"?

The switches you mentioned are the best option so far!! Thanx for that one! Ill order them asap. do you have to press them hard? I see you have to order them by the 10000.... Do you have some left? heheh
    Did you get them from that exact supplyer?

thanks for your great input!

Quote Originally Posted by SanderVh
    I'm in no position to give you any advice, but I must see: looking fabulous! I thought you were going with a SEAT steering wheel? But you changed it to and AUDI?

Sander
    Hey Sander you are absolutely right.. At first i was going for the SEAT J6 steering wheel but after measuring it up I found out it was a bit to small in diameter.. the AUDI s-line wheel matches very good... it has nearly the same thickness and diameter! So far it looks like it is working out I think..

Cheers

The switches inside the early generation computer keyboards are the type I'm suggesting. Simple on/off momentary switch.
    This is the urethane I swear by;
    http://can.sika.com/en/solutions_pro...1a001sa01.html
    Sika brand, however 3M is great too.
    It is a great adhesive too. I suggest a few test runs first.

Make sure you wear gloves if you are worried about what people say about your hands. It takes about two weeks for it come off of your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    The switches inside the early generation computer keyboards are the type I'm suggesting. Simple on/off momentary switch.
    This is the urethane I swear by;
    http://can.sika.com/en/solutions_pro...1a001sa01.html
    Sika brand, however 3M is great too.
    It is a great adhesive too. I suggest a few test runs first.

Make sure you wear gloves if you are worried about what people say about your hands. It takes about two weeks for it come off of your hands.
    which one from the list should I pick? have you got some pics of your switches and how you use them?
    Thanx again for the info

Re: F430 steering wheel build, Please think along.. UPDATE

Here's a small update..

I luckily came across this arbag pad! I bought an OEM f430 exhaust today... the seller gave me the pad with it for free! WICKED! This means I can calculate the original measurements even more accurate then I allready did! This week the ALU center piece will be done.. A friend of mine has this hardened 3mm thick and 2mē aluminium plate sitting and diong nothing.. Lucky me! I will be making more of them.. so If anyone is interested send me a PM... Ill be glad to help u guys out..

Right now I'm collecting parts as I am also saving money for the build.. It is allway nice how you bump in to parts for a good pice when you are not in a hurry... ;D see the pictures below.. more updates later this week!
    Cheers

Love these guns!

Looking great! Did V-design also use an OEM F430 exhaust on their current build? How much did this exhaust set you back if I may ask? ;D