Thread: help me do a 3.4 dohc buildup!!!!!!

help me do a 3.4 dohc buildup!!!!!!

lets see im getting nmy 3.4 dohc ready to put on my cradle, ive got the motor together i just have to install the top intake manifold. i have to install the fuel lines and the wires for that.

i have my 5 speed tranny ready for the swap and my 3.4 is a 1991!!(better year?)

im just waiting on a v6 mount bracket to come in the mail and ill be able to mount it on the cradle!!!
    and i need a 88 v6 flywheel!!!!!
    once i get that i can install it on my cradle
    (that should be less than a week) ;D

i really love the 7000 rpms, i hear that the 1991 computer has no speed limiter! is that true???? and also with a 5 speed would a speed limiter make a difference? :-/

when i get my digital camera in 2 days ill be posting pics of my progress and if any of yall have any info to help me out i will be so appreciative!!! ;D

Re: help me do a 3.4 dohc buildup!!!!!!

RE:>i really love the 7000 rpms, i hear that the 1991 computer has no speed limiter! is that true? and also with a 5 speed would a speed limiter make a difference?

It depends on how the speed limiter works. And I can't assnwer than on that particular engine. On my vette, it has a rev limiter at or around 6300-6400. (Yes I have hit it) Some computers use a fuel shut off and some take out timing or spark to keep you from over reving. The Vette PCM is limited to 175 Top speed but it can be removed with LS1 edit. (Interesting note: the Z06 is quicker, has more agressive gearing, but has a lower top speed! 172MPH) For your particular engine, there is software out there that would allow you to remove or change where the limit is. So if you are running in a stock program mode, you will hit max RPM at some point in any gear and that will limit your top speed in fifth. If that computer uses a VSS signal limit, then when you approach the programmed speed it will cut fuel or spark and limit yout top speed. It should be easy enough to calculate your final drive ratio and see where your RPM limit gets you in fifth gear. The stock fiero getrag is not very overdriven in fifth gear. .80 or so? I'll have to find it. But your engine revs well beyond a stock Fiero so you are bound to have a higher top end as a result.

The vette by contrast is six speed, 1.00 in fourth, .84 in fifth, and .62 in sixth. really helps the tope end. I shift to fifth at about 145 and havnt had a road long enough yet to get it over 154. But sixth gear is only good for about 800-900 RPM. (and I am shifting at 4500-4700 right above the torque peak so that leaves me in fifth at 145 and about 4000 rpm. 2600 Rpm to redline before the next shift, which at that speed would cover a hell of a lot of ground! I have enough trouble just keeping it straight and shifting at those speeds, after first it tacks up so quickly all you have time to do is shift until fifth gear.

Cheers!