Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: control arm lengthing questions

control arm lengthing questions

has anybody cut and lengthend the factory fiero ft. and rear control arms it looks doable to me i need 4 inches on each side in rear and 2 inches on each side in ft. for a 512 im going to try it if anybody has any tips i would appreciate it i can always get another set of arms if i mess up i really want to get away from the wide spacer in the rear and use 9and half inch wheels with 7 and half neg. offset i really like the aftermarket tube arms but moneys tight right now

Re:control arm lengthing questions

I've never personally done this, or seen it done for that matter, and I think there's a reason for that. The factory pieces are stamped steel. I think it would be difficult to section and weld in pieces that fit properly, and had the strength to hold up to any road abuse. The last thing you'd want is the arm to come apart at any speed. If you have the welding skills, you'd probably be better off building your own tubular arms. Also keep in mind that if you still have the struts, they'll have to move, too.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

To: mike d.
    I'm looking at doing the same. The arm is a stamped U channel, easy to drop a small box beam in side the full length of the new longer arm & zip it with the MIG. If that doesn't look strong enough add a doubler(s) to the outside.
    Big D.

I would not recommend stretching the control arms. Doing this will cause several problems. First off the Fieros control arms are not that strong to begin with and streching them will only add to the weakness. Secondly, if you missalign the parts upon welding them back together you will never get a good alignment and tire wear will always be an issue. Lastly, stamped steel has different stresses built into them and once cut, these parts can act completly different than you expected. I wouls suggest going with Held motorsports or another companys pre-lenghtened control arms. I think this would be a much safer way to go. You can get a bump steer kit from held for $690.00 in any lenght and another $265.00 for the coil over. You will have a car that handles better than the stock one. Just my 2 cents worth.

thanks dewey i think that if you boxed the things as much as you could they would be stronger than a tube arm . i seen a DAND R diablo a couple of years ago and thats what whoever built that car did. i dont really want a racecar i just want to drive . i understand how to move the strut and lengthen the axles and everything .

MIKE,if you do widen the control arms to save money,tou have to modify the strut pockets in order to get proper caster and camber adjustments,i use caddy v-8's in all my cars along with the complete cradle and suspension,and that moves out the wheels 2 1/2 inches each side ,has big brakes 1 inch sway bar,and only needs minor mods to the spring pocket for
    alighnment adjustments.
    MIKE

Mike, Just want to know if I understand you right - You swap the whole engine cradle and front suspension from a Caddy 4.9 to the rear of the fiero? Didn't know that was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RCR
    I've never personally done this, or seen it done for that matter, and I think there's a reason for that. The factory pieces are stamped steel. I think it would be difficult to section and weld in pieces that fit properly, and had the strength to hold up to any road abuse. The last thing you'd want is the ______ to come apart at any speed. If you have the welding skills, you'd probably be better off.......
    This looks like the same reasoning used to convince people not to cut the car in half to lengthen it 3 inches.

This looks like the same reasoning used to convince people not to cut the car in half to lengthen it 3 inches.
    Yep! Your life depends on getting it right the first time, at least when it comes to making the wheelbase 3 inches longer. There are ways to modify the cradle to move the engine and therefore the centerline of the axle back 3 inches keeping the original structural integrity of the Fiero chassis in tact. It may be possible to make your swing arm longer if you box them in the proper places. The only challenge I can see is matching up two dissimilar V angles after you cut them apart and add 4 inches to them. Maybe you could weld a plate across the bottom of the entire swing arm?

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

the opening page for tech.discussion shows twenty replies to this topic i can only get eight of them .i cant get the other replies when i click on page two .