Thread: Swapping entire engine cradle from GTP to Fiero?

Swapping entire engine cradle from GTP to Fiero?

So I picked up a really nice running 1999 GTP with a rebuilt transmission and supercharger and was going to do the engine/trans swap into my fiero cradle, but was wondering if anyone has swapped the entire cradle out? The only reason I was considering it is because of all the work to fab up engine mounts, trans mounts, axles, etc... I did some measurements and the GTP cradle is very close to the Fiero cradle. It would take less time to modify the GTP cradle than it would to fab all of the other things. Then if I needed parts in the future, I could just buy OEM GTP axles, engine mounts etc... So what are everyone's thoughts? Good? Bad? Stupid?

Re: Swapping entire engine cradle from GTP to Fiero?

anything is possible if you have the tools and will to do it... take measurements, cut, weld.. etc...

I say go for it it might give you a wider stance too..later Lukester

Its not worth it. Plus the mounts are only $150
    and either way you still need custom axels

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I also don't think you gain much. I think mating the new cradle in is going to be more work than fabbing up mounts and axles.

I put a Cadillac 4.9 in mine - uses the same family of transmission, mine was a 4t60E.

The way I did it was to separate both engines and transmissions. Then I bolted the Fiero engine to the Caddy trans and vice versa. With one combo on the cradle, I fabbed up mounts for the caddy, then put the other combo on to fab the other set of mounts. It's really not much work.

I used info from FieroAddiction.com::
    http://www.fieroaddiction.com/4T60a.html

This includes the axles - I bought them off the shelf from info at the bottom of the last link. I assume you could do the same with your project.

So, yeah, my 2 cents, I bet you could buy axles off the shelf, and the motor mounts aren't that much effort.

Aside from that tho - aren't you going to want a widetrack rear suspension? Or do you plan to use wheels spacers? IF you go with widetrack, I think you'll ahve to make longer axles anyway, right?

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

this member did a great job .... look like a lot of work went into it ,conact him he,s a nice guy
    http://www.madmechanics.com/build-di...hardtop-build/
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!