Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push button shifter

Push button shifter

I plan on using a push button transmission gear shifter and mounting the control buttons where the e-gear plate goes. I first planned to use a controller that is normally used for people with a disability. One such product is called "smart shift" made by a handicap mobility company called E.M.C. But apparently they don't sell to the public so they referred me to a local distributor who informed me that the only way I can buy it is if I had them do the insallation for liability reasons. Then he went on to tell me that he will not install into a chopped and streched fiero but will install into a minivan and that I could take it out. What a joke! At this point I was ready to hang up but was curious as to how much such a thing costs, so I asked, four grand he says. I then hung up and mumbled to myself "is the transmission included?" anyway all for the best as I am now working on building one myself. I've got pretty much the whole layout in my head and started designing the PCB for the controller. Has anyone ever built something similar, that is willing to give me a few pointers?

Re: Push button shifter

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Linea...or-Controllers
    this along with good linear actuator should do trick, I was gonna mount P R D in E-gear panel then put N somewhere in console, Figured if wanted to do 1-2-3 I would spend cash on paddle shift.....
    1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
    1985 Fiero GT Northstar
    1985 Fiero GT 3800

i found this http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product.php?pk=74
    retrotek smart shift.

I know the military's LMTV's have electronic shifter/ shift buttons. I do not know if that helps though.

good luck!

That Smart Shift looks like the way to go, but I cant find how expensive it is, does anyone know?

My ls4 tranny came with tap shift. But of course I didn't want a shift handle on the console so I got the egear plate from jets and use the three buttons for park, reverse, and manual. I use a linear activater controlled by the egear plate to select these functions and the steering wheel paddles for shifting up or down. I have the Pontiac steering wheel with the paddles but I plan on mounting the egear paddles on the column for the look and then just use hidden buttons on the back side of the wheel to do the actual shift.

Oh I plan on using a paddle shifter to shift through the gears but the paddle shifter I ordered does not shift to or from [P] [R] [N] [D] so that's why I need the "push button" shifter!

http://twistmachine.com/shopping/ind...4429ce88950982

Yes this could be done with a linear actuator, but be very careful. Any mistake could wreck the car or worst.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to shift into reverse while going forward at 40 mph. You have to wire in some neutral safety switch & other relays, like depress brake pedal before allowing a change from drive to park/neutral & to reverse, etc.

Yeah I already accounted for that, it will be wired in with the speed sensor so that if the car is in motion it will deny shift request. A brake switch alone isn't good enough, imagine yourself braking on the highway to start slowing down for an intersection and just at that moment you reach for the radio controls to turn up the volume of bangin tune only to accidentally hit the reverse button! Oh sh*t!

Quote Originally Posted by LamboIllinois
    Yeah, you wouldn't want to shift into reverse while going forward at 40 mph. You have to wire in some neutral safety switch & other relays, like depress brake pedal before allowing a change from drive to park/neutral & to reverse, etc.

Here are the safety features I am integrating in the controller, tell me if I miss anything!

No shifting while in motion
    No shifting while already shifting (while actuator is moving power to the switches is interupted)
    Will not atempt to shift into any particular gear while already in said gear
    While car is stopped will not shift unless brake is depressed
    Will not shift without the vehicle running (maybe a backup in case I need to tow)
    ...any suggestions?