Thread: Exhaust options ?

Exhaust options ?

I am looking for some exhaust options for my 4.9 caddy powered lambo. I am wondering what others have done for there setups in there cars, and mabye post some pics, exc. I am thinking about a setup like pictured below from Rockcrawl's website (I will remove the pick if rockcrawl does not want it posted). I am thinking about useing the flowmaster 80 series muffler and resonator tips but no cat. I just am not sure if I can get the tips close enough together for the countach. I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Re:Exhaust options ?

I used the information to design mine as well. I did not use the cat either. I used 2 2.5 Inch "L" pipes out of the lower muffler openings facing back from the car. You can get the pipes pretty close together by just cutting of a little at a time until you get your desired result. The ultimate distance between the pipes will be controlled by the size of your muffler. The one I used was Flow Master designed for a Firebird. I had the most design time in working out the engine header pipe to the muffler. It steps down from a 3 pipe to a 2.5. The header was twin wall that I eventually removed. I uses an L bend and a U bend to get the configuration I needed. I purchased some 1 into 2 chrome tips from Pep Boys for $12 each to complete the look. They have dozens of designs and sizes. I still have not fired it up to see what kind of job I did but, I will soon. I want to get a ceramic coating on the pile of pipes and muffler in a chrome like finish first.

Dave.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks Dave, I am going with the 2.5'' pipe, The flowmaster I am looking at is the Camaro / Firebird style. Are you using mandrel bent pipe? All that I can find is crush bent stuff locally. Do you have any pics of your system?, Sounds like a great setup.

Just a friendly reminder "pipe size" will make or break your horse power...make sure you properly match the diameter size to your specific motor...a good hotrod shop should be able to tell you the right combo for your application...I've heard horror stories of people using huge diameter pipe cause it looks cool...in turn they lost up to half their horse power and had to pay to redo the exhaust...just something to look into
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

I went thru this exhaust stuff looking for the best sound for my 88 Mera. A 308 Ferrari clone. I tried several things over a few years. Best by far: No muffler. Just a cat and then split into dual exhaust system with 2 dual resonated exhaust tips. I used two 2" dual Ansa resonator tips. Pacesetter also makes dual tips that will work well. Having the resonator tips at the end of the system makes a very exotic sounding exhaust note. Gives a nice snap. Somewhat loud but not bad and once people see what is making the noise they most likey accept that it is louder as it is an exotic car.

On the exhaust pipes: Smaller is better to a point. The larger the diameter the slower the exhaust gas flow and the deeper the sound. Smaller diameter pipes make for faster exhaust gas speeds and a higher pitched exotic sound thru the resonator tips.

Supercharged 3.8 into, WCF headers into, single 3" in/out cat into, 3" pipes to Flowmaster Series 80 single 3" in w/dual 2" out. Purchased the 3" mandrel bent tubing from JEG'S. If the pipes turn out to be too big, I'll get a smaller pulley for the blower. ;D

I have the 2.8. I will be using the stock manifolds(ported) with a catco high flow cat, 2 1/2" pipe and 3" dual tips with resonators(Monza). I also have a 12" glasspak that I can put in either direction (more or less noise reduction) to give it the the right sound. My buddy runs the same set up (except he has twin turbos) on his 2.8 and it sounds awesome.

Thanks for the replys, I will be looking into some of the things mentioned over the next week or so for my system.

Quote Originally Posted by lamboman
    Thanks Dave, I am going with the 2.5'' pipe, The flowmaster I am looking at is the Camaro / Firebird style. Are you using mandrel bent pipe? All that I can find is crush bent stuff locally. Do you have any pics of your system?, Sounds like a great setup.
    I used a 2.5 inch mandrel bent tube. The Flow Master muffler is 22.5 inches long. It has the inlet on one side and one of the exhaust exit ports on the same side and one exit on the exact opposite. It all worked out well. You can get the Flow Master in an 18Inch size if you like it better but only is sized up to 2 inches for the pipes. I also have a one into two that exits out of the rear bumper. The real Ferrari uses pipes that are 1 5/8 out of the back side. Mine are a little big but I liked the sound.

I will provide some photos this weekend.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.