Thread: How to Correctly do the Frame Stretch a CK3 Testarossa / 512TR / F521M???

How to Correctly do the Frame Stretch a CK3 Testarossa / 512TR / F521M???

Hi All I am new to the forums but have been following kits since 98 and far before the mad mechanics name change and I may now have the time and funds to get into the hobby...er.. lifestyle. I have done tons of research over the years and know I want a CK3 512(via the new Canadian owner molds else where spoke of) just as I always have wanted. I have a few questions about the build process though. One is that, isn't there a specific was to do the stretch for a CK3 TR like dropping the rear of the frame down to conform with the roof to get a lower line. I was wondering if anyone had detail diagrams or could explain how this is done. Also from what I have read of the new owner of the CK3 molds is that its just the fiberglass and none of the framing metal required for the kit... this may be wrong but if so could you all point me to or tell me how to build the metal structures for the front and rear and rockers if necessary on this kit. Also what other problems should i consider to look into in trying to build this kit. I just found a guy on here with some nice raked windshields so that's a question I need not ask. I have an 88 Formula which has been my daily driver for the past 13 months witch I searched for for about a year before buying this specific one... have been doing many upgrades in preparation for a 512 eventuality.

Well;

You can talk to Thomas directly as he is the new owner of the old CK3 moulds. I know he has done a ton of work to them to clean them up to get the bodies out in great shape. He is just about an hour south of Calgary now just east of Okotoks. I talked to him a few months ago seeing how he was doing. He has become better known in Calgary area for doing outstanding body and paint work for the local hotrod crowd so was getting very busy doing that when I talked to him.

As for the frame, Cowans on here and Dale Paynter both have CK3 Testarossa kits so can probably explain what to do for the rear areas of the roof and frame. I know you need to lower the rear end of the roof section itself but I am not sure about the drop in the frame rails. I had heard about that in the past as well but have never confirmed one way or the other.

As for rocker supports etc. I suggest you get the kit and mount it to the car after your large frame stretch and roof lowering exercise and while the body is on, you can see where you will need to set up reinforcements for rockers etc. If I remember correctly, the rockers are part of the rear clip on the CK3 kit so you mount the full rear section on to the stretched frame right up to the front rockers under the doors.

I am sure others wil be able to pop in to explain the Testrossa specific items for you.

Good luck with the build and post pics of progress.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks for the info Don, is there a website I can reach Thomas at I want to make sure I will be able to mount it correctly and have it hold up well if my build $$$ are going here.

Not sure if he has his web site finished yet. It was still in progress last time I talked to him.

His name is Thomas Squires and his phone number is or was: (403) 615-2476. His email is "moneywise at telus.net"

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV