Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiero frame reinforcement

Fiero frame reinforcement

I am about to start on my fiero frame reinforcing for diablo roadster.I have been scratching my head deciding what way to go with it.I dont really want an x frame under the car and not really sold on the fact it will keep the frame solid.I am wondering can i do it in the rockers/ect without going to the underside...the roads are a mess here so i dont want to add to the underside if possible.What are my options?.

I am thinking of cutting the outer side of the rockers off and replacing with 2x2 square steel tubing and extending the rear out and then bracing vertically to the stretch.I could run 1 x 2" under the rocker but not sure if that will be as good or solid?.Now what else will make a good frame with little flex combined with that?.

I was looking at an archie build with plate welded up the centre tunnel beside the seats ( i was thinking 1/8" would workout ok).Anyways would this be sufficient with the rockers and no x frame underneath?.Or any other suggestions would be awesome...going to get this going tomorrow.

2". Under the rockers. That will reinforce so that it doesn't fold with no top. I've always
    liked arches tunnel reinforcement too, but I always thought that 3/8" was a bit overkill. The x-frame will help reinforce for frame twisting not so much folding. The x-frame should be 1"by 4" horizontal so you won't lose too much ground clearance. Make sure that you don't have a rusty tank and that you have a good fuel pump before you weld it in. Some people bolt in the center section for tank access, but you can always cut it out if you need to. Personally I don't think a bolt in will be as rigid as a welded in.

I agree 3/8 is way too much...1/8" would be fine i would think...welding would be tricky 3/8" to the thin sheetmetal there too.

You mean leave factory rockers in place and run 2" under them?.

I used 1/8 when I reinforced mine. I didn't want anything hanging under the car. I used a 3" x 2" x 1/8 channel up inside of the rockers. In the front, there is a 1x2x1/8 channel that extends from the lower braceing up to the cowel/ windshield area. I also added 2x2 square channel fitting the countour of the back of the door area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MacGyver; 11-26-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Here is a photo that shows how the 2x3 channel is level with the coolent tubes
    Last edited by MacGyver; 11-26-2011 at 09:27 AM.

I also added a cross brace that bolts to both the 2x3 channel and the cradle. There is one more brace you can't see. It extends from the 2x2 channels behind the doors through the firewall. That brace is also a 1x2 and is also used to mount a second dog bone to the motor.

I can't say this is the right way to do it. It's just what I did!

Hope this helps
    Last edited by MacGyver; 11-26-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Wow cool thanks for the pics and info...I like how you didnt have to add more to the bottom side (less ground clearance).

I found these as well. Once I tack welded the frame sections. I took it off the car to weld it completely. Then reinstalled it. As you can see be the photo. There is 2 places notched out for the seat belt bolts and ebrake. Otherwize the 2x3 slips right in there.

Here is one more. It shows the end of the channel that is hidden behind the firewall. This was also attached (welded) to the main assembly.

Thanks for the pictures and info...you accually answered one of my questions before i could post it in regards to the seatbelt bolts.I got into the passenger side today and it is all done...next will be drivers side.I used 2x2 instead of the 2x3 but other then that basically the same.I do notice the notches are quite small compared to how i had to do it for the seatbelt bolt bracket (unless those are for the ebrake i see in the pic?).