Thread: Primer Problems - Please help if you can

Primer Problems - Please help if you can

I mixed up a batch of 2k primer the other day and it came out feeling like sandpaper. Not sure what was the issue. It's the first time I used this type of primer. So I thought you guys would know what happand.

You could even see the primer was not flowing right from the start. But I kept going since I didn't want to waste the whole quart of mixed product.

I was using U-Pol HS primer Filler system 20 4:1

for hardner I used Maxx Fill 2k Activator 5457 and mixed it 4 to1

It was to thick to spray so I gave it a splash of Urethane reducer

I shook the primer before I opened the can and strained it.

I used a 1.7 - 1.8 tip on the gun. So it was spraying OK

I realise I should have used Upol hardner but I didn't have any.
    I'm trying to find out if the issue was the hardner or the reducer or maybe both.

any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MacGyver; 12-13-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Ive ony ever shot 2k Urethane primer, not that same exact brand but very similar. PPG product. I love the stuff

I use a 4:1 mix ratio for my hardener and a 1:1 mix ratio for my reducer. That 2k surfacer is very thick and it almost sounds like you shot it without enough reducer. Im almost positive thats what it is. I shoot with a 1.6 tip and it lays very flat. Try the 1:1 reducer, that should clear things up. Hope that helps

Hi Mac,
    each product must be used with his own hardener and reducer... sometimes others can work, but maybe itīs here the problem.
    When I start to learn years ago, I have had the same problem with a 2k primmer, and was a wrong air pressure....
    Hope this helps !

using the wrong hardener, will sometimes have a different reaction, but what i think it was, an old batch of primer sometimes at the paint stores there is always a can or two that stays behind, i mean really really behind. i would try to take it back , you never know you may just get a new one, good luck

Like xisco_mallorca said each manufacturer has their own formula and by mixing another manufacturers activator is a good way to have delamintaion problems later on. I never reduce 2k primer as that too can cause shrinkage problems or hazing later on down the road, especially if you are painting a car black. It could have been air pressure and tip/needle size that may have been the problem. If the data isnt printed on the label , then you can ask the guys at your local autobody supplier and they will give you a data sheet that tells you what size tip, air pressure and what temperature your shop should be when spraying their product. There are a lot of variables when it comes to spraying chemicals, even line contamination from the air compressor can cause problems by introducing moisture and oil into your paint. I am betting it was the activator.

Thanks guys. You gave me some Ideas. I'll try thinning it more and pick up some different actavator. I know this stuff has been sitting for a while. It's been in my shop a year and a half alone. I did shake it and strained it into my cup. Heck, I have used primer after 5+ years and it still worked ok. Maybe the actavator is just to old. ????

Activator normally has a shelf life of only 30 days after being opened and some are even less.

Thanks for the info.

Sean, I would think it was probably the wrong activator. Every manufacturer and most times different products within the same manufacturer have different activators (hardeners). The reason is the amount of isocyanates (the chemical that causes the crosslink with the resin) and accelerators. Most of the time, what you have discribed is over accelerated and those things that feel like sand cross linked (cured almost like crystals) either in your gun or in the atomized stream on the way to the surface. Always match the product to the catalyst unless you are spraying some old technology acrylic enamel that catalyst was optional. Then sometimes the generic "hardener" will work, but...

Thanks Bart - I will pick up a new batch of hardner (the correct brand) and give it another try. I bought the hardner from a guy I know that dells paint products at a local auto swamp. I should have known better.