Thread: whats the best Material to use for Mold flanges?

whats the best Material to use for Mold flanges?

I have a ton of Fiberglass experience, But Never got into doing mold work or making the Bucks. Im building a 512TR replica, once the bodywork is done Im going to splash the body so I can make replacement parts for my car, what is the best or most common material used to make the flanges for the parts edges and seperation points? also what is the best thing to use to attatch and seal the bottom edge of the flange to the part? I have read Clay, and or wax? any advice?
    Michael

To make parting flanges. I found that the sheet insolation from home depot works well. It's about 1/8" thick and comes in a 4x8 sheet. It's stiff enough to hold in place and since it's made from a dence cardboard it's not to hard to cut it with a box cutter. It also has a slick surface that you can wax.

Don
    I have built several moulds of my parts and I use the corrugated plastic sheets. They are about 1/4" thick and work very well. It also peels right off the cured fiberglass or gel coat.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Good idea Don. I have a sheet of that stuff. I'll have to give it a try. Plus, I see this stuff hanging off of sticks all along the side if the road as well. LOL

Don
    Sean;

I also use aluminum ducting tape. The tape you use to seal the joints in HVAC systems etc. It works very well to seal the edges that may not be fully sealed against the part to be moulded. The resulting, minor, dent and edges in the mould where the tape edge is, can easily be cleaned out with a bit of sanding and you are back to a smooth mould. You can also just leave it there and sand the resulting part a bit to remove the slight raised portion where the tape was. I usually to the resulting piece sanding as you end up having to clean the part up anyway so it will be sanded before primer.

This stuff is easy to use and cuts very easily as well.

Not sure the companies or political candidates would appreciate the reusing of their signs though..... Ha ha

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

OY Don is that you thats been nick in my estate agency signs LOL
    If your in the uk feel free to help yourself to connells or spicer moll boards lol

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Sean;

I also use aluminum ducting tape. The tape you use to seal the joints in HVAC systems etc. It works very well to seal the edges that may not be fully sealed against the part to be moulded. The resulting, minor, dent and edges in the mould where the tape edge is, can easily be cleaned out with a bit of sanding and you are back to a smooth mould. You can also just leave it there and sand the resulting part a bit to remove the slight raised portion where the tape was. I usually to the resulting piece sanding as you end up having to clean the part up anyway so it will be sanded before primer.

This stuff is easy to use and cuts very easily as well.

Not sure the companies or political candidates would appreciate the reusing of their signs though..... Ha ha

Cheers
    Don
    I use that alumimum tape all the time. It works well. I also have some of that teflon tape that was talked about over a year ago on the forum.

I'm just about ready to make a mold for my right quarter. I'll try the plastic cardboard method.