Thread: Countach Wheel Fitting

Countach Wheel Fitting

Hello again all!
    I got my wheels from Allan at compomotive and cannot decide if the fronts are correct or not. I went out again today and put them on and took some more pics. You guys help me decide. I think they are at least one inch too far out. Hopefully you can see the measurements. I won't bore you with what I see. The rears are good except I will have to tie back the emergency brake cable to keep it from rubbing on the rim. This is on a second generation IFG 25'th on a 88 Fiero. I know the front end is different from the other year Fiero's. 8) I apologize for the extreme amount of load time with all the pics. I will remove these after I get some opinions. Thanks again! ;D

kitcarnut

Re:Countach Wheel Fitting

Larry I have 4" back space too on fronts. looking at front bumper it will show the tire, as long as you are clear of travel at top wheel flare inside ,same for rear.you may have to cut out the flares and move it out a bit.now when the car is on ground with it's weight ,it goes in a little.
    How's you front suspension set up standard? 100% you'll need drop spindels and springs.or as I did ,drop spindels and lowered body 1.5" more but you'll loose it on dash.trust me no one will notice.

Looks good to me.The top of the rim is inline with the body and appears to be the correct size.The front lower portion of the body appears to taper inward giveing the appearance of wide tires.I think all the Lambo kits and real Lambo cars do this (excludeing the Deablo,that has a diffrent body style).You might try haveing 1 tire put on,see if you can find a place that will accept returns, if you decide you don't like it.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

;D Thanks for the input so far. I will probably end up mounting one tire and seeing if it is right or not. I would appreciate some more input on this though. Anyone ???

something to think about. It looks like your suspension is at full extension. Will it push the tyre outwards when compressed under the weight of the car? I doubt it to be more then .5" but its something to think about. choose your tyres well and maybe think about something that will be tight on the lip and not buldging over the lip of the rim (biggest tyre to fit rim) The rims look super awesome though!! Sure cant wait to see this beat on the road mines getting closer and close to completion!! Best of luck. L8

Good point DJ......Just make sure there is room between the tire and upper lip (fender Flair)The tire should be inside the fender flair in case you hit a bump. You may want to drop the car down so there is some weight on the tire leveling it out.Also check for clearance on the inside upper fender well, you know if you hit a dip in the road, you dont want the tire rubbing the inside upper fender well (the flat area)
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

??? I do appreciate the input to this. I guess I will have to mount one tire and just check it out. The rim in the picture is under tension. I used a floor jack under the shock mount to raise the front. I measured to see if the gap with the Fiero wheel changed from resting to when I jack it and it did not. As you can see,,the body panels are rounded and thus the tire will be sticking out in different areas and different measurements depending where you are measuring from. This is the pic off of IFG's site of their 25'th. I believe this is my body and is what I am seeing with this rim. Keep the input coming!!! 8)

Larry,
    it looks good to me. Also, I think the wheel travels in a little as it goes upward on suspension travel, as when you hit a bump. Also, to be safe, I would go with 205-50-15 size fronts as opposed to 225-50-15 which is a bit taller and wider. I think both sizes were stock on Countachs in different years. If you haven't lowered the front suspension yet, and are on a budget like myself, you might get away with cutting 1 coil from the spring (off the bottom) which is what I plan to do. From what I've read some people have had success doing this. I may need to get the offsets from you sometime as I am also building on a 1988 Fiero. Finally (boy I can be long-winded) I would ask Shaddoe's opinion, as he probably could tell better than anyone.
    Good luck!

Oh yea,
    if you are going to mount one, I would go ahead and do both. That way, you can really bounce the front end a bit to get it to settle, and see how it is at rest, then maybe with help, push it down a bit (CAREFUL NOT TO CRACK THE BODY IN THE PROCESS) to see what happens, both with the wheels straight and turned.

Larrybud, as you know we have the same kit. I think that looks fine. Mine looks the same and drives without a problem(test drive that is).
    Our kits were designed to use eibach springs and koni shocks to get the right body to wheel clearance. Though this makes the car very low underneath. I'm glad you went with Alans rims..you will not be disappointed. I would post a picture of mine, but I'm having problems with the camera.