Thread: Alternative Drivetrains for midengine for a LAMBO

Alternative Drivetrains for midengine for a LAMBO

So here is an Idea for a LAMBO what do you guys think Cadillac CTS AWD. Any help I think would help us all.. thanks Lukester Merry Christmas
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How are you going to fit a front engine drivetrain into a mid-engine body and chassis design?

well if there is a way with the transfer case by running it backwards it might work at least thats what Im thinking or taking the engine and transmission putting it longitutial and attaching the rear end directly to it? just thorwing stuff out there looking for an alternative.

take the front and put it in the back might work
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It would require a very long wheelbase to put the rear differential directly on the rear of the transmission. IF the differentials can be flipped, you could install the engine in the rear with the transmission facing to the front of the car. It is hard to tell from the angle of that photo but the engine seems to sit rather high. Probably due to the front differential being under the engine. If it could be moved to the front of the engine it might work better to lower the engine. I would also want to know what the torque distribution ratio is. If it is biased to the rear now and you reverse the drivetrain the bias would be to the front. Hopefully that could be changed.

I used the LS4 with a 4T65E GM set up in my car front a Pontiac GXP it runs great and fit perfectly. Mine is a tubed Chassis with QA1 coilovers and torsions swaybars from Chassis works.

if that transfer case is electronicaly controlled you are S.O.L. unless you can get PCM that can override controlls and lock it.
    However if you can find a case that has manual (locked) 4x4 then you will be splitting power going out to both front and rear shafts. All you will need to do then is get dif to drive it in the back

Quote Originally Posted by customshop1 View Post
    I used the LS4 with a 4T65E GM set up in my car front a Pontiac GXP it runs great and fit perfectly. Mine is a tubed Chassis with QA1 coilovers and torsions swaybars from Chassis works.
    I'm in the same camp, but with a fiero chassis. I really like aluminum V8s. I did the N* in my AD355 because it was the closest I could come to the Ferrari engine with American parts. Some people have put 20 lbs of boost on the ls4 and gotten away with it. You will need a built transmission to go with it, but the 4t65e hd is about the strongest built tranny I know of. GM actually took out fourth gear and put over 1000 hp through one. Just my opinion and I could change, but for right now I wouldn't have it any other way. Automatic is ok with me because it came with paddle shifting.

I like LS series engines as well. Dropped an LS3 (6.2L) into a '67 911 rebodied to a 930 (yes-- a SWB car) hooked to a tall-geared 915 transaxel. The weak links are the CV's since the trailing arm will only accommodate a 94MM CV. Anyone out there know of adapter plates so the 915 100MM transaxel flange (86MM BCD) can go to 108MM (or bigger) CV's? Also be great if there is a CV adapter that goes from 94MM (78MM BCD) to 100MM (86MM BCD) so the outboard CV can be beefed up. Strange thing is the axle tends to break before the stock 94MM Loebro -- went to chromoly axles after that and they hold up well to 450 ft. lbs of torque. I think I remeber a thread from a couple of years ago where Chassis Works started making adapters like that.

This guy developed the lightest chassis thats crash test approved... might be worth looking into.
    WIKISPEED's Channel - YouTube