Thread: Audi 016 behind a 3.4 DOHC V6

Audi 016 behind a 3.4 DOHC V6

I finally located an Audi 016 trans locally for $600. I think that is a pretty fair price for up here in Canada and the fellow will give me the shafts with it so I can make the custom shafts I will need. I don't have the mileage of it though. I was looking for the 01x but they are few and far between up here. I located an 01x through one of the online parts searches in the States but it was way over on the east coast so I would imagine shipping will put it way past the $600 mark I have available to me here. I think the 016 will work fine for my application in the Countach.

I plan to put the 3.4 and 016 into the Countach build I have waiting for the 308 to be done.

I already looked through Jim Dinner's pages for strengthening the rear of the box but is there anything else that I should do to the trans to make sure it doesn't grenade? The 3.4 only has 215 hp and about 250ish ftlbs torque so I should be OK?? I don't plan on dropping the clutch and stomping the gas in this car but I am sure I will do some spirited shifting.....

I see the 016 is behind the V12 in Jim's car and looks like Jets is doing the same plus I have seen lots behind the V8's on GT40's forum....

Also, I know about Kennedy Engineering and I have talked to txbuilder here on the forum also does adapters. Any info on either of these or other options I have out there?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

The transmission will hold up fine as long as you don't drop the clutch. It's been working great behind the V12 all year.
    The order of failure was this;
    1) Cast iron rear case at pinion bearing - plate stopped this
    2) Drive axles - I had to go to 1350 shafts on the red car. The yellow car has stock BMW 750 axles - No problems now
    3) Differential spider gears - If driven normally this os no problem.

I have not had a spider gear break since I saw someone try to get rubber in second gear.
    If I had a spider gear break again I was going to try to weld the differential solid to see how it perform as a test.

Here is what happened when a clutch was dropped AFTER the rear plate was installed.

Thanks Jim;

Is the price reasonable for up here? I located it at a local audi/vw parts place. I don't have the mileage on it though so hopefully it is not too well worn. I am also looking for an 01X as it wi be newer of course but also 6 speed. Trans in hand is better than a possible down the road though.....

BTW. Nice job on the axles......

Happy New Year everyone.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

The price is very reasonable since they are so hard to find. I have been looking everywhere for a spare with no luck.
    For the record, I did not bend the axle. The car was a rental for a year.

Thanks Jim;

I guess I will go low ball the guy just to set the mood...... and then probably give him the $600. Maybe I can get it for $500 if I bat my eyes at him....

Thanks again
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV