Thread: How To: Rear Fiero Coilover Setup

How To: Rear Fiero Coilover Setup

Well I thought I would contribute to the forum a little with a How to on how I made my rear coilovers for my Murc. I needed to build the setup for my recent motor swap and I thought I would document all the steps needed in the process. I went with a 2'' stretch in the rear but you would obviously have to figure out what you needed on your own build. Pm me with any questions

Materials needed:

1) 2 New strut assemblies for the Fiero- MONROE Part # 71814 Sensa-Trac- Rockauto.com- 40.27$

2) 2 12''x2.5'' Springs at whatever spring rating your needing- Speedway Part #10622375CR- eBay.com- 44.95$

3) 2 7''x2.5'' coilover sleeves-QA1 Precision Products CK5005-Summitracing.com-48.99

4) 4 "O" Rings for the sleeve-Autozone-2$

5) Some 1/4'' steel plate

6) Pieces from the stock fiero suspension so dont throw it away just yet.

Step 1)

Cut off all the old Fiero mount stuff, I just ran my die grinder around the lip and the main piece fell off. Grind as needed

Step 2)

Spread your O rings around the strut and tape it down as needed. I also applied a little grease after I taped it down to help it slide over.

Step 3)

Slide the sleeve over the rings and tape and make sure not to roll the O rings. Again I applied a liberal amount of grease to allow for a smooth fitment.

Step 4)

After the sleeve is in place dry fit your spring and position the sleeve bolts to wherever you need em

Step 5)

Take the stock Fiero top hat and use it in conjunction with the lower spring rubber mount. You'll have to trim the bottom rubber mount about an inch. Wrap it around the top of the spring. The fiero top hat should sit right on top of that. The top washer also came from the Fiero stock stuff. I welded on some bolts to the top hat (not pictured). This is what it shoud look like

Last edited by Jets303; 12-30-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Step 6)

After the initial mockup is done take it all apart and weld on your stretch plates. I had the back side of the strut sitting on a block of ice as I welded to avoid any access heat added to the strut.

All done, hope this helps someone out!

Looks great man!! Nice info!!!

HAHAHA, Thats totally getto my friend. Your Sleeves are going to split like a banana after only maybe 10,000khm

For one the bottom lip will eventually allow a difference in placement and bam tear it goes.. I tell ya I see it time and time again when guys do that..

Tip, Find Pipe that slides over with 1/4 thickness and cut it about 1-2 Inches and slide it down over the strut and you make it perfectly level. Weld Outer 3/4 of Lip to Pipe so you have a drain hole.. And also you will pop your strut by over heating it so go slow. Same when you cut the purch off. You will notice the sleeve now will sit flat with lots of room to spare and it will not split or slip...

Cheers,

Kyle
    Last edited by FunnyWheels; 01-27-2012 at 08:51 PM.

This looks pretty similar to most Fiero coilover conversions. Could you elaborate on what the problem with this is?

Thanks for posting this , a question on the stretch plates. Are they used to move the location of the strut/coil inward to clear extra wide tires? Or maybe to minimize relocating the upper mount on the Fiero outwards? m interested because I've seen this strut extension bracket twice now and I want to eliminate my 3'' alum wheel spacers in the rear of my 512 kit. Thanks, Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.