Thread: Changing the water pump on a Ferrari 308 GT4/GTB etc..

Changing the water pump on a Ferrari 308 GT4/GTB etc..

Hi Guys
    Its not a kit car but I thought I would share it with you. The water pump went on the 308 GT4 Dino, you can repair the old units, 2 bearings and a couple of water seals but for the price I replaced my one, anyway the housing was cracked.
    The engine is a transverse mounted mid engined 3.0 l V8, access to it is limited however there are two fibreglass panels under the wheel arches that come out to allow you to get to at one end the clutch and gearbox and the other the water pump and timing belts.

To get to the water pump first you have to take out the air con compressor, I removed mine a while ago so job already done. Next you have to take off the left cam belt cover, undo the dip stick top bolt and alternator bolts and loosen as much as possible the right cover. Then you can get to to 10mm and 13mm nuts that hold on the water pump.

I took mine off a few weeks ago, so all I had to do today was fit the new one. The pump does not come with a pulley so you have to use the old one with a new cotter pin. Pulley fitted time to fit the new pump, you also have to use the 2 old aligning pins from the old pump, they pull out of two of the stud holes and push into the new pump housing.

Then its just a case of fitting the pump, only took 20 mins ao so, the longest job is re-fitting all the bits that had to be renoved!

Then just fill with coolant and bleed the system. It took too long to warm the engine up as its quite cold today, so I'll bleed it another day when its hotter!

Here are some pics.

Name:  DSC_5535 (800x536).jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  DSC_5534 (536x800).jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  DSC_5537 (536x800).jpg
Views: 976
Size:  60.3 KB

Nick;

Are there carbs or individual throttle bodies on the 308? I see them at the top of the picture but not sure if it is fuel injected or webber carbed?

Nice to see something on the Ferrari is actually easy to replace. I have heard most of the newer ones are significantly more intricate to replace easy things like a water pump. I had to do my Porsche Boxster water pump and I had to pull the passenger seat out of the car and pull an access panel off the firewall and then find new joints in my wrists in order to get my hands and tools into the right spot. Probably would have been ab it easier if I had a lift to get at some of the lower bolts from underneath.

At the end of it all, I then had to take the car to the Porsche dealer to get them to reset the code that came on when I started the car to test the pump before putting the passenger seat back in. $150 just to reset a code that took 5 minutes...... In fact, I waited and saw him do it and then the $150 bill came and I asked and they said it was flat rates there so that is the flat rate in the book...... Good business to be in if you can use those rates. I assume Ferrari work would be the same or worse.

And that is why we build replicas........

Wow, reply took a bit of turn didn't it......

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hi Don
    Its easy to work on, this was built in the days when these cars were sesigned for the track, and therefore everything including the clutch should be done relatively quickly.

The clutch took me a couple of hours, cam belts an hour, and water pump 30 mins or so.

The car has 4 40 DCNF webers, really easy to set up and stay in tune really well. The hardest job was the clutch cable which took a day and like your porker required me to grow new joints in my wrists!

I have to set the camber and caster but that will be hard work as its all shimmed

mr truman
    i had a Fiat Bianchina in the 70's and caught on real quick
    it takes a different mindset than working on American cars.
    in the Italian movies they're always working on their cars.
    yep. that's what it takes to keep them going.
    plus you roll on the throttle when you drive them
    no sidestepping the clutch like with 383 Challenger.
    how about some pic's of the whole car?
    and a little explanation of where it fits in the Ferrari world.

Have A Nice Day!

PS i'm looking at an Italian car in mint condition but thinking it over real hard.
    Last edited by rapid transit; 01-14-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rapid transit View Post
    mr truman
    i had a Fiat Bianchina in the 70's and caught on real quick it takes a different mindset than working on American cars. in the Italian movies they're always working on their cars. yep. that's what it takes to keep them going. plus you roll on the throttle when you drive them no sidestepping the clutch like with 383 Challenger.
    how about some pic's of the whole car? and a little explanation of where it fits in the Ferrari world.

Have A Nice Day!

PS i'm looking at a 90's Alfa in mint condition but thinking it over real hard.
    Hi, The old Fezza is really reliable, in the 10 years I have had it I have only had to perform normal age and mileage related stuff, clutch, waterpump service etc.. The engines are bullet proof, as long as the oil is changed and cam belts looked after these engines will do 100s of 1000s of miles. Downside, it only does 12 or so mpg. But it is a blast to drive. 0 - 60 is about 5 secs with a top speed of 150/160 mph according to the speedo.

My car is an ex track car and spent most of its life going round Castle Donnington race track. I have the complete history of it including the original sale receipt!

These are rare cars, not that many were made and when they ca,me out they were not very popular, they are the only ferrari to be designed by Bertone. These days some people say its not a real ferrari because of this HOWEVER... and this is a real big however..
    The car's driving position was designed arround Enzo Ferrari, it has a 1960s Ferrari F1 engine in the middle, and his son's signature on the back, so i dont know how a tribute to Enzo ferrari's son can be anything other than a beautiful car.

There are only about 1800 cars left now, these cars do suffer from rust, and as a daily driver in the UK that is something you have to remember! body parts are expensive. The windscreen and crome trip cost my insurance company over 8000!!! plus autoglas had to pay for it to be resprayed afterwards.

driving the car is like being in a V8 gokart, point and hit the gas and the engine effortlessly revs to 8000 rpm, on the track cars the engines rev to 9.5 - 10k with std bearings! The car has no powersteering or abs, and you need Arnie size calf muscles to press the clutch, but its worth it when you are on the open road.

The car has featured in a few magazines here are some pics from a photo shoot

Name:  _K3C9882.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  _K3C9870.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  _K3C9878.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  59.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nicktruman View Post
    Hi, The old Fezza is really reliable, in the 10 years I have had it I have only had to perform normal age and mileage related stuff, clutch, waterpump service etc.. The engines are bullet proof, as long as the oil is changed and cam belts looked after these engines will do 100s of 1000s of miles. Downside, it only does 12 or so mpg. But it is a blast to drive. 0 - 60 is about 5 secs with a top speed of 150/160 mph according to the speedo.

My car is an ex track car and spent most of its life going round Castle Donnington race track. I have the complete history of it including the original sale receipt!

These are rare cars, not that many were made and when they ca,me out they were not very popular, they are the only ferrari to be designed by Bertone. These days some people say its not a real ferrari because of this HOWEVER... and this is a real big however..
    The car's driving position was designed arround Enzo Ferrari, it has a 1960s Ferrari F1 engine in the middle, and his son's signature on the back, so i dont know how a tribute to Enzo ferrari's son can be anything other than a beautiful car.

There are only about 1800 cars left now, these cars do suffer from rust, and as a daily driver in the UK that is something you have to remember! body parts are expensive. The windscreen and crome trip cost my insurance company over 8000!!! plus autoglas had to pay for it to be resprayed afterwards.

driving the car is like being in a V8 gokart, point and hit the gas and the engine effortlessly revs to 8000 rpm, on the track cars the engines rev to 9.5 - 10k with std bearings! The car has no powersteering or abs, and you need Arnie size calf muscles to press the clutch, but its worth it when you are on the open road.

The car has featured in a few magazines here are some pics from a photo shoot

Name:  _K3C9882.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  _K3C9870.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  _K3C9878.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  59.3 KB
    Nice don't recall ever seeing one of these in Canada, maybe a European only thing...

hi
    They are quite rare.
    Very very loud though, the engine makes 2 noises, up to about 5k it makes one tone and then it takes off as the cam shafts come in, and then it sounds about as close to a street legal F1 car as you can get
    I am sure the car would do more MPG if it didnt sound so nice, it seems a shame to drive it quietly. If anyone is in buckinghamshire and wants a blast around the block, pop round!

nick
    i think the thing us americans like is the crafsmanship.
    the cast aluminum valve covers on english and european cars.
    they had that kind of thing on the antique cars here.
    anyhow any car like that i get will be nice and comfy in the garage.

Have A Nice Day!