Thread: Paint question of the day...

Paint question of the day...

Got an idea about redoing a car in semi gloss (satin) black. What pitfalls do I need to be on the lookout for?

First, you have to make sure the job is clean. You will not be able to de-nib or wet sand and buff. Second it is according to whether you use a single stage or BC/CC. I prefer the look of BC/CC with a flattened clear. If you go BC/CC, I recommend prepping with 600 grit as flatted finishes seem to show less body imperfections but more sand scratches. IMHO.

Washing it. I had a satin black swapped Subaru and it was a real pain to keep clean and wash.
    Hasn't put me off doing it agin but this time I might just go for a wrap. It's a little less $$$ but should protect the paint I have and not put off future buyers and you can peel it right off if you buy a good brand (3M or Avery).

well it depend on what kind of car it is , if its just a transportation i would't go thru the expence of the clearcoat and all that, just go with single stage, if you are painting a murci or something like that thats another wrap, before you do all that make sure you wash the car with soap and water, ooh and make sure the soap you use is not lemon or citrus soap. you'll be allright. good luck

Bartman I totally agree! Keep in mind once its sprayed your done. You will not be able to nib and sand so prep the surface well prior to spraying

Satin is incredibly hard to do. There is a reason only a few exotic cars have it.

You have to spray it right the first time, can't have any stripes or anything. Remember, you can't sand/buff satin/matte finishes.

I wanted to respray my car in satin blue, but I couldn't find a single painter who wanted to attempt it. Hope you have more luck.

Satin isnt any harder to spray than candy colors. Hotrod Flatz colors spray very easy and lay out nice and flat. with Hotrod Flatz you will want to use a sealer on the whole car as their paint is thin but it does shoot very well.
    This is a 1940 Mercury sedan that I shot using Hotrod Flatz copper pearl satin
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by PACC; 03-02-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Wink

Beautiful car! The paint looks good too. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by PACC View Post
    Satin isnt any harder to spray than candy colors. Hotrod Flatz colors spray very easy and lay out nice and flat. with Hotrod Flatz you will want to use a sealer on the whole car as their paint is thin but it does shoot very well.
    This is a 1940 Mercury sedan that I shot using Hotrod Flatz copper pearl satin
    I think it's a lot harder. Mostly because of the spray lines that can build up on the hood an roof. Normally not a problem with gloss because if a mistake is made you can wet sand out the problems. Not possible with satin.

I remember the Lexus LFA prototype that came out satin black. A four hundred thousand car. It looked great but in certain light you could see the spray pattern lines on the hood and roof. What a disaster IMO...

2011 Lexus LFA at Cars & Coffee Photo Gallery - Autoblog

you just have to shoot a few test patterns to see your spray out and then spray it using a 50/50 overlap and it wont leave tiger stripes or flat/shiny spost.