Thread: Painting chromed plastic

Painting chromed plastic

Anyone have any experiances with this. This is the chromed plastic parts that you might find on a dash panel, grille, light housings. If I'd rather have the surface painted rather than chromed, how do I get the paint to stick?
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

ok since these parts are really smooth , sand them with 220 water and soap, than sand again with 360 or 400, make sure is nice and dry, clean parts with thinner, you are ready to paint good luck

I like to epoxy prime to insure good adhesion. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Daleford View Post
    Anyone have any experiances with this. This is the chromed plastic parts that you might find on a dash panel, grille, light housings. If I'd rather have the surface painted rather than chromed, how do I get the paint to stick?
    I don't know if this would work or not, but it seems that I have read that scale modelers will sometimes use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the chromed finish from plastic pieces before hand painting them. Again, I don't know if it would work or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try on something small, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by mlochala View Post
    I don't know if this would work or not, but it seems that I have read that scale modelers will sometimes use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the chromed finish from plastic pieces before hand painting them. Again, I don't know if it would work or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try on something small, perhaps.
    I heard that too ..... and tried it. OEM chrome must be of better quality because it didn't etch the chrome at all. Actually left a nice shine. LOL
    From what I have gathered, clean, lightly sand, clean, epoxy prime and paint.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

couple of thoughts, 1st. industrialize chrome plastics are done withadhesives and vaporized metal much like potato chip bags another way is adhering metal fragments to the plastic then chrome plating it. if you want to paint over a plastic product you can try krylon plastic fusion paint first then regular paint over the fusion paint. or dechrome the plastic by chemical removal then painting over it again. just something to think about.

My thought would be to sand with fine grit paper. Apply an adhesion promoter, epoxy primer and paint. Depending how good the finish needs to be would depend on using rattle cans or real paint from a spray gun. If I was refinishing parts for the exterior of a car. I would not use rattle cans.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 02-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.