Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 512TR FRONT SUSPENSION

512TR FRONT SUSPENSION

I AM TOTALLY REDOING MY REAR WITH A WIDE TRACK SUSPENSION FOR MY 512TR KIT WITH 500LB SPRINGS, WIDER LINKS ETC, HOWEVER FOR THE FRONT, DO I NEED TO ALTER ANYTHING FROM STOCK TO MAKE THE CAR HANDLE PROPERLY? WHAT IS THE STOCK SPRING RATE FOR THE FRONTS? WILL THE CAR BUMP STEER?THANKS

Re:512TR FRONT SUSPENSION

I used 350# springs in the rear and 300# in the front. I have a 3800 5speed for the drive train. It rides very, very, very firm. I also have the anti-bump steer rear suspension, OEM 355 wheels & Tires, 12 inch, 4 piston caliper Wilwood brakes and a big sway bar. If you use 500# springs in the rear, it will kill your kidneys. Will HMS swap them out for you if they are too harsh?

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

yes they will,
    what is the rating of the stock front springs?it sounds like I really dont need any other upgrades from stock to balance the front? I have the factory 512tr wheelsand want to bolt them up to the rear without spacers or adapters, if I understand your setup correctly, i will have to overcome clearance issues with the bottom of the struts, the car is stretched 7.5 inches and will carry a getrag 5spd mated to tpi 350 engine.

Spring rate front 300#
    Spring rate rear 350#
    Anti-Sway Bar is a must on both ends.

I also bolt my front OEM 355 wheels to the hub directly by re-drilling the hub and putting in longer than stock studs to mount the wheel. In the rear and if you use Ferrari wheels with the deep offset like the 355 and 512 you will need to use a spacer to make them work without hitting the rear shock as I have in the photo I posted. I needed +8 in the rear and configured my set up by using HMS rear +3 anti-Bump Steer and a 2.5 inch wheel spacer. The photo has a 2 inch on it and I had to have another set made at 2.5 to get it to clear. The problem is the rear shock of the Fiero in relationship to the bolt flange of the hub. There is not enough clearance to make it fit without the spacer. If you add up all of my numbers they come up to 11 inches. That is due to the offset in the wheel. The car is still +8 in width.

Regards,

Dave

HELLO,
    SO YOU DIDNT NEED TO SPACE THE FRONT WHEELS OUT AT ALL? I FIGURED IT WOULD NEED TO MOVE OUT 1-2 INCHES, WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND I DO IN THE REAR WITH RESPECT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SHOCKS HITTING MY WHEELS, I REALLY DONT WANT TO USE SPACERS AT ALL! THANKS

I used a +2 front suspension. That provided me with a +4 overall on the front. I re-drilled my Corvette hubs to fit the Wilwood rotors and Ferrari bolt pattern 5 on 108mm. If you do not want to have spacers on the rear (they are safe if that is your concern, Porsche uses them) you will need to invest in the HMS rear cradle and IFS set up to fir your car. They cost about $3,000 and look pretty trick. It replaces the back frame and suspension of your Fiero from the firewall back. But then your idea of the Getrag and 350 will not work. Then you will need the Porsche Transaxle, Kennedy Adapter, Shifter Assembly, Custom headers etc. I priced it out once and it was in the neighborhood of 11K to do the complete job.

Dave

C'MON FUNNYWHEELS,
    THERE'S GOT TO BE A WAY TO DO MODIFY THINGS SO THAT I CAN USE MY DRIVETRAIN AND NOT GET A NEW SUBFRAME, DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS?

I guess I'm getting low on ideas. I provided all I had to you. Maybe someone else has actually built one of these things. You could use aftermarket wheels that do not require an adapter. But you looks the look when you do that kind of move, don't you.

Dave

HEY FUNNYWHEELS,
    WHEN I GET ADAPTERS, I BELIEVE I NEED 2" FRONT AND 2.5" REAR, WITH 5X100 TO 5X108, MY QUESTION IS DO ANY OF THEM NEED LONGER OR SHORTER STUDS THAN STOCK AND DO THEY NEED TO HAVE ANY OPENINGS IN THEM FOR THE CENTERS OF THE HUBS, OR ARE THE FIERO HUBS FLAT? THANKS

The wheel adapters have holes in the center for the Fiero stuff to stick into.

The size for the Fiero is 5 on 100
    The size for the Ferrari is 5 on 108

I put longer studs in mine so the nuts will reach into the wheel onto the stud. The studs can be purchased at any NAPA store, they are made by Dorman and the application is for a Chevy S-10 4X4 Front hub. I think the number on the back of the stud says 323.

Regarding the adapters, are these for 512 wheels with HMS rear suspension?