Thread: Fiero Stretch: Frame or Floorboards?

Fiero Stretch: Frame or Floorboards?

Hey everyone, me again. My Fiero is completely striped down, getting ready to pull the V6 out, afterwards I will be stretching. Question is, do I stretch from the frame or the floorboards? Most {meaning ALL} Fieros I see, do the frame. However, I could use the extra leg room or stereo space. I am 5'11" tall. Not real tall, but we can always use the extra space right? Limited stereo space in a Fiero anyways!! Any suggestions?

I'd suggest you do a cradle stretch and leave the rest of the frame intact. It's the easiest of all stretches (I'm told). It basically just moves the engine cradle back the desired length to achieve the wheel base you need. Of course fuel lines, etc, will have to be extended also, but there is no frame distortion or weakness to worry about.

Good point, no sense to try and reinvent the wheel, huh? However, I have seen this done to the Porsches from the floorboards.

Hi the way I did mine was do the cradle first and then the rest of the car. fi you look up b&b customs they show a step by step way to stretch the fiero. if you cant find it I can send it to you..good luck later Lukester

No Murci, You are going to have to cut or move the engine cradle rearward and cut the side frame also. If you just lengthen the cradle, your axles won't line up with the rear wheel bearings. Both have to be lengthened the same of course. The cradle can have the front mounts moved rearward instead of cutting the cradle and lengthening it. If you cut the floor pan, you are asking for a bunch of headaches unless you are up to it. Some guys have moved the brake pedal forward as well as the front floorpan/dash metal to gain extra legroom. Lots of pics on Kitcentral.com also. Hang in there and keep asking questions. Better than dumb mistakes.
    Jim

Just trying to get my head around the floor stretch. Can you do that without having to stretch the doors too?

NO you can't do a floorboard stretch without doing the doors as well, unless you do the stretch in the B Pillar behind the door jamb or in the lower front a pillar area in front of the door jamb.

There is a build thread somewhere on here that shows the fellow doing the floorboard stretch in pretty good detail to give him more leg room.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks guys for all the input, really great stuff to consider!! I believe I am leaning towardsthe cradle and side frame stretch. Seems to be the logical thing, and the simplest!! Again, thanks for the input. And Lukester, everyone should checkout that B&B Customs website, very informative! Thanks!! Derek