Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slave???????

Clutch slave???????

I have a problem with my clutch. It wont disengadge. I just put a new one in and have blead the hydrolic system out thourally but It still wont disingadge. Although the slave only pushes out an inch or a bit further is that far enough? Anyone got any ideas on what might be the prob?

Re:Clutch slave???????

I had to use a new push rod, the new slave that I got was smaller and I had to use a longer rod.

Here are some good links about clutch problems:
    http://www.v8archie.com/arch4.htm
    http://www.v8archie.com/arch7.htm
    http://www.v8archie.com/arch6.htm

Quote Originally Posted by hotwheels
    I have a problem with my clutch. It won’t disengage. I just put a new one in and have bled the hydraulic system out totally but It still wont disengage. Although the slave only pushes out an inch or a bit further is that far enough? Anyone got any ideas on what might be the problem?
    I had the same thing happen to me once. I had to put in a new slave cylinder to fix the problem. $86 at Advanced Auto Parts. I had the V6 Getrag, I think the lesser 5 speeds and 4 speeds have a different slave cylinder. Did you put you throw out bearing on the fork? That could be another challenge for you. You may have to re do the job if that is the case.

Best of luck,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

My slave only travels out 5/8" and i guess it is supposed to travel 1.15" min. for the clutch to work. I have rebled the system and I dont think there is any air. I put a new clutch in the car and I'm shure I have it all in right including the throw out bearing. But if I have no leaks and no air but not enough travel what does this mean is it the slave that is the problem or the master?

It could be either. The cheapest one to replace is the Master. When the master goes, it usually only bleeds down letting the clutch engage while at a light etc. Is the little rod from the salve in place? I have seen people cut off a bolt to make the little rod longer. Do you have the slave bolted onto the transaxle properly?

Another thought! Can you use a pry bar to disengage the clutch to insure it is not inside the bell housing?

I had that same problem in my '88. I first noticed the fluild level in the resevoir was falling. I bought a rebuild kit for the slave, but found out the cylinder surface was pitted from corrosion so I had to get a new slave. I also noticed there was fluid on the carpet under the pedal, so I also got a new master. In the process I also learned that I wasn't bleeding the line properly. I couldn't figure out why, when I press the pedal, there was no pressure building to release the clutch. I got a helper to open the slave bleed screw when I press the pedal down, and close it before I released it back up. Everything works fine now.

Just curious to hear if you have the problem repaired and how you did it?

Well I have not got it on yet but I got a new slave cylender and I hoping that it was the problem. It was $180.00 can. and I priced a new master and i guess they just discontinued them and they are $300.00 so i hopeing i wont need one. It seemet that everything else was fine but the slave just wasent pushing out far enough. So I hope that the new slave fixes it.

Let us know if you’re having trouble getting the Master. There still available down here in Florida.

Dave