Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modena version of the Ferrari GT 250 California spyder

Modena version of the Ferrari GT 250 California spyder

Looking for any information or help on the rebuild of a Modena version of the Ferrari GT 250 California spyder. This is similar to the Calspyder but it was reportedly built by another company "Modena". The most obvious difference is the use of a side vent window.

Looking for interior, any part numbers for the front suspension parts, where to find the frame number, and any other related information. Any suggestions on who can make a custom convertible top and paint & body in the Delaware/PA/NJ area. I am trying to put it back on the road for the first time in 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by hyghnldr View Post
    Looking for any information or help on the rebuild of a Modena version of the Ferrari GT 250 California spyder. This is similar to the Calspyder but it was reportedly built by another company "Modena". The most obvious difference is the use of a side vent window.

Looking for interior, any part numbers for the front suspension parts, where to find the frame number, and any other related information. Any suggestions on who can make a custom convertible top and paint & body in the Delaware/PA/NJ area. I am trying to put it back on the road for the first time in 20+ years.
    I have a similar car. Would be interested in sharing info. I'm in TN but will help if I can.
    --Bill

I would be interested in the car. I have a 355 now.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

My car is titled as an 1988 model. Had it since 2003 and improvements made since then comprise a very long list.
    Thanks for your interest.

Any information you may have would be very helpful.

I did find that the Calspyders only have the single door glass window, my Modena uses the inner Fiat door and a fixed side vent window.

I replaced the entire front end - Mustang ii. The main issues I have now are paint, convertible top, and interior.

Quote Originally Posted by hyghnldr View Post
    Any information you may have would be very helpful.

I did find that the Calspyders only have the single door glass window, my Modena uses the inner Fiat door and a fixed side vent window.

I replaced the entire front end - Mustang ii. The main issues I have now are paint, convertible top, and interior.

Question - do you know what we can use for replacement front and rear bumpers?
    When I purchased my Modena I got no build documentation at all so I'm curious if you did?
    Also, thought I replied with a couple of posts but don't see them.
    I did some suspension mods but nothing major - replaced front LCAs with tubular pieces from Speedway Motors, modified positioning of rear shock brackets, converted adjusting slot on tab coming off axle to just a bolt hole, added support for far end of lower shock bolt, and added adjustable radius rods to correct shock and pinion angles. Rear end is now very well behaved.
    Thanks - Bill

I found two references for the front bumper and have seen two different ones installed. One was shorter, the other wrapped around the front more.

MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars
    Item 453 090 from an MGB/C

The other one was supposed to be from an earlier Fiat 124 convertible.

For the rear, it should be a 56-65 Karmann Ghia Eurostyle rear bumper.
    Last edited by hyghnldr; 05-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks very much for the good info. Please post changes/improvements you make as you go along - I'll follow with great interest.
    Mine has the adjustable vent glass. Biggest problem was weatherproofing the car - leaked like a sieve. All good now but at considerable effort and agony.
    Just replaced old Holley double pumper with a Holley 570 Street Avenger w/electric choke. Love this carb. May play with jetting when new wears off. The Innovate LM-1 data logger shows it to be pretty close now.

Thanks again,
    Bill

I can sell you parts as i'm building a similar cars Automobile Addiction Company, a Classic Italian style kitcar manufacturer

Good to know, I would be interested in details on a convertible top.

I have been slowly working on it. Just bought Classic Instrument gauges, they look great with the curved glass fronts.