Thread: Brake Booster and brakes question

Brake Booster and brakes question

Happy New Year All! I plan on using a brake booster to fit my present master cylinder just on the basis that it would mate with the master cylinder and that i could do the necessary adjustments to insure that there exists the proper clearance between the m/c and the booster as well as the pedal linkage of course.My question is this, is it possible to have too much vacuum going to the booster such that the initial sinking of the brake pedal could be so great as to cause the break pedal to sink enough to cause my brakes to stick (with my foot still off the brake pedal) ? I ask this for a custom modification i am doing on my vehicle using a booster not actually designed for my m/c. Thank You, patrick

No. The vacuum assist is only activated when you push on the pedal.
    Will your engine be producing more than 30" of vacuum?

JDINNER- thanks for your reply! Less than 30" vacuum, only about 21" of vacuum.

The design of the booster itself will do more to determine the amount of boost provided rather than the amount of vacuum from the engine. I prefer to not have too much boost as it reduces brake feel and makes locking up the brakes too easy.

too much vacuum is not an issue. Low vacuum pressure can generate a lack in assist power when pedal is pushed several times in a short range of time. In this case you need a vacuum accumulator.

If vacuum is a problem, you can evaluate also an hydro assisted booster (it works through a linkage with the power steering pump)