Thread: Brake Booster pushrod to M/C clearance:measured w/engine on or off?

Brake Booster pushrod to M/C clearance:measured w/engine on or off?

Hi All! I asked as i read somewhere on the net that it is best to measure the clearances with the engine running. But i am just about to go buy a Boosterfor my manual brake system. So i will have to pay for the booster and just try it out on the m/c. I am under the impression that connecting the engine vacuum to the booster automatically causes the booster pushrod to move forward slightly (like maybe 1/8" ?? ) ?? Otherwise is it ok to just measure the booster pushrod-m/c clearance with the booster and m/c out of the car (disconnected from the engine vacuum and brakelines respectively)?? I would appreciate an answer asap as i will be buying the brake booster in about14 hours.

I have never seen a pushrod want to move by just connecting vacuum to the booster.
    When it is all done and assembled you should see a jet of fluid shoot up inside the reservoir when you just slightly tap the pedal.
    If there is no clearance on the pushrod the brakes will apply slightly as the fluid heats up.
    There must be a slight air gap on the push rod.

Jdinner-
    Sorry for late reply, been busy. This reinforces my belief that lack of pushrod clearance is what might be causing my brake drag problems. I`l check stuff out anyway (again...). Thanks a lot!
    patrick