Thread: Opinion on Carbon Fiber Film

Opinion on Carbon Fiber Film

Looking for an opinion or advice

I am considering using some Carbon Fiber sticker stuff on my build. Primarily the area I want to use it is in the scoop areas of the front bumper. I thought it would look nice instead of just painting it a graphite color like OEM.

Does anyone know where to get the best material for this? I see 3M makes the DI-NOC. Is this the best or is there something better out their on the market?

The only thing that concerns me is that the film won’t be able to wrap around but will show a hard edge. I guess it will be OK since their is a step on the bumper where the Grey paint stops and the color of the car starts.

I'm also wonder if this stuff will shrink and look crappy after a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

From what I've seen I think it will look cheap. It will soon bubble too.

It's come a long way over the last couple of years but it's still up to par with a true carbon overlay. There is a material out that has small holes in the film so you don't have as many problems with bubbles. My biggest issue with it is that most of the films are only rated for about 5 - 8 years of outdoor sunlight exposure and it's prone to scaring and scratches. It would be nice if it would take a clear coat, and have a little extra protection but all the stuff I've seen advises you to not coat it. I'm with Jdinner, if you want it to look really nice, only real carbon cloth is the way to go.

Chris
    Last edited by No Bull; 02-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.

This is a great post. Thanks for sharing this

Hydrodipping

You may want to look at Hydrodipping rather than stickers. It will last and looks great!

@MacGyver:

PM Sent.

The 3M film gets the look of carbon fiber by use of light reflection. It is not a woven product. (I got a sample.) It is very flexible and can be contoured around compound curves BUT it gets its look by the texture of the surface. It has fine grooves on the surface that catch light and make it look like carbon fiber. If you put a heavy clear coat over it, it will lose the ability to catch that light and will just look black. That does not mean it doesn't look good but if you look closely you can tell it isn't real carbon fiber.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by stcustomsnc View Post
    You may want to look at Hydrodipping rather than stickers. It will last and looks great!

A friend of mine had used this method for areas in his engine compartment. Overall, it looks nice. Not as nice as real carbon though.
    I don’t think it would really be feasible to go to all that trouble for just that area of the bumper.

If you are still considering a carbon fiber "sticker" take a look at this stuff:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

9 year outdoor warranty and it's bubble free (assuming it has small holes in it that let the air out from underneath) and it's glossy so it will reflect the light like real carbon does. If you give this a try, please post something and let us all know how it went.

Thanks,

Chris