Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: working with fiberglass

working with fiberglass

well i just want to say hey all, and the first thing i am going to say is im not doing this to start any arguments or to hurt anyones feelings. but i get calls all the time about what i am going to show yall and i exsplain this the best i can. but as im needing to make some parts up i thought maybe it would be easier to show then tell. i also want to say that i do not care about where or who anyone buys from. this is for information purpose only. their is nothing better than buying a product that you understand. and understand how it was made.

i need to make a hood for a chassis and body hanging job i started on recently. now im only going to do the inner for now which is all i need to place and check fittment for all the front panels. .

now after i have waxed the mold up and it has sat for a few hours i put a few light coats of part all film on it and then gel coated it. the gel coat that i like to use is a sandable gel coat made by ccp. the sandable gelcoat is the only gelcoat that is ment to be painted on period. you can paint on the gp stuff but it may or may not last.

so now that the gelcoat has kicked off i will begin what i call the preping work. it is a time consuming job but in the end the results will be well worth it. as the first pic shows i have smeared a white putty in all the corners and edges. it is called radius compound or radius putty.i like to add some gelcoat to it to help hide itand blend the color in . but for this i left it alone..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

now in the second pic you will see that i put down a layer of resin particulary on and mixed in with the compound. this will help thin the putty even more and allow you to work it easier

now that is done. i take strips of the edges i rip off the matting and work the hard edge into the corners and edges. by doing this you will ensure that their will be no voids behind the gel coat. however a void can and will still happen even to the most experinced person, that is something that is inevitable. but by taking the proper steps each and every time you will greatly reduce that chance.

now the long and drawn out process. and most important about this step. we want to get the putty and resin mixed to a cream as we work it through the mat throughly. by not doing this you can get voids infront of and behind the putty. i think it took me about an hour and half to two hours to prep the inner hood. so yes it takes time to do it right. but in the end you have a very good product and one that i am more than willing to warrent.

now that is done i am ready to start laying in the layers of glass and matting and any steel or alumminum needed for mounting. in the end of the prep you will want something that will look like the last pics. i did use an large amount of putty but i wanted everything to be visible. so normally you do not need to use as much. and then you can also mix some gelcoat in with it so its not so visible. and when you are done the edges and corners should be the only areas that are a touch thicker than the rest of the part. i hope this kind of clears the air about what i rant and rav about.

now hopefully i dont end up with a price on my head for letting that little trade secret out

How many layers of fiberglass do you recommend to a body?
    and what wheight of the matts should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by CMI-Cars View Post
    Although I have allot of experience fiberglassing, I have none in auto body. My dad does though and specializes in fiberglassing boat hulls and I asked him. He said 2 layers of mat followed by one layer of cloth for a smooth, sandable surface.

Excellent tutorial Cliff. Now we all know your real secret..... you wear diamond grip gloves

FWI there are also sprayable fiberglass radius compounds.
    Last edited by pmmjarrett; 06-03-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Although I have allot of experience fiberglassing, I have none in auto body. My dad does though and specializes in fiberglassing boat hulls and I asked him. He said 2 layers of mat followed by one layer of cloth for a smooth, sandable surface.
    Didnt he tell what kind of matt it was? it has something to do with wheight pr m2

Quote Originally Posted by CMI-Cars View Post
    I like to know it too