Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling hubs

Drilling hubs

Does anyone know if you can safely re-drill the front fiero hubs to accept a 5x108mm bolt pattern? I found a set of 2" stretch a-arms but now my OEM F355 rims stick out 3/4" to far. The exact dimension of my wheel adapters.... So has anyone changed the bolt pattern on the front hubs?

yes, they used to plug weld the unused holes and re-drill new ones all the time

I would put the hubs in a lathe and score a 108mm circle on the hubs so you have it perfectly centred. Then with the markings on the lathe, score lines at 0* - 72* - 144* - 216* - 288* so that the five holes are perfectly spaced. Center punch and drill on a proper drill press.
    Don't forget to make a hub alignment ring if one is required.

Thanks guys! This is good news. I am converting the car over to the Lebarron brakes so I have to have the fiero rotors machined off anyway to allow the Lebarron rotors to slide over it. Hmmm not sure if I need a hub alignment ring.... The Lebarron rotors fit snugly over the fieros hub so I don't think I need one?..

88 or pre-88? If you're machining the rotor, I'll assume pre-88. The pre-88 may not have enough material to redrill. Since no one asked the year, I thought I would mention it. This is a question better asked at Pennocks...

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Bob,
    It is a pre 88, 87 to be exact. I will ask over there as well but it does look like it will work. That being said, there is a huge difference between "looks" like it will work and actually working

I know the 115x5 won't work, that's one reason I swapped in an 88 front. Better safe than sorry.

Bob

Glenn;

There is a guy local to me, Dawg actually, that I asked about doing 5x4.75" on my pre 88 hubs and he said after taking material away for the beretta brakes swap, there wasn't enough material on the outside of the hub area. I don't know what the metric conversion is for that though.

I think a fellow over on Pennocks tried for redrilled hubs and broke the outside edges as well.

Good luck with the swap and I am interested in your results as I want to do the swap for my Countach project.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I believe 4.75" is about 120mm. the 108mm is probably within the scope of the pre-88 rotor.. Just need to make sure...What you could do is convert to the Corvair spindle/rotor which gives you the 5x4.75", then drill it down to 108mm. Bubbajoexxx did that swap and documented it in his former project.

bob

Great stuff on this topic, I stare at my 3'' spacers on the TR and wonder if I'm gonna lose a wheel one day. My Circ 17 wheels are 4.75'' chevy pattern and I'd prefer to bolt them directly on without any adapter. I wonder what the Corvair set up looked like, I'll check that out. My kit's based on an 87 GT so I imagine theres not enough material to plug and redrill my hubs to 4.75'' spacing. Maybe bonniville or grand am hubs? Would have use the same wheel bearing to keep the Fiero spindles. Wow! too much coffee LOL , but great info. Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.